Sautéed Carrots, Kale, and Watercress, a side dish or a main meal if you are a vegetarian. Cooking can be an overwhelming task if you are not sure how to mix and match ingredients. Not knowing the different flavors of spices and herbs can also be overwhelming. That’s easy to answer if you pay attention to the different taste of each ingredient, spices, and herbs.
Sautéed Carrots, Kale, and Watercress, my version of veggies medley dish, is a combination of fresh and earthy ingredients. Let’s review the vegetables for a minute. The carrot, for example, so many benefits, adds some sweetness to any dish, full of antioxidants and full of vitamins. Kale, a superfood, a bit bitter, full of vitamin and antioxidant. Watercress, a versatile leaf, great in salads and stews, adds a subtle peppery taste to any dish, full of vitamins and antioxidant.
Other ingredients added to complement the dish are sweet peppers and onions. The spices are very basic, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning or herbes de Provence, whichever I have available. As you can notice by reading the last few lines, this dish is very basic and very simple.
[ihc-hide-content ihc_mb_type=”block” ihc_mb_who=”unreg” ihc_mb_template=”1″ ]
Many cooks usually feel like they have to have all their pots and pans out to create a complete meal. It is customary for Caribbean people to eat a 3 – 5-course meal every day; the use of several pots and pans is limited when cooking large meals. For me, I try to limit my cooking to a minimum of 2 – 3 pots and pan because I detest washing dishes.
In the photos, you will notice that I have a plate of fried chicken and sweet plantains in the background – that’s only a three meal course. Just keeping it very basic. A 3-course meal does not always have to include rice or pasta, as it is the norm for many islanders. You can hold off on eating fewer carbs in one day. Your body will not go into shock. I promise!
Don’t forget to leave me your comments and thoughts!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 - 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 – 3 medium carrots peeled and sliced on the bias
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons water + more if necessary
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups kale stalks removed and discarded, leaves chopped
- 3/4 cup of sweet peppers diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or herbes de provence
- 1 teaspoon cumin optional
- 2 cups watercress chopped
- Ground black pepper to taste
- In a large sauté pan heat oil. Add garlic and sliced onion for about 1 minute. Add sliced carrots and salt to taste. Add lemon juice and water. Cook carrots until halfway cooked. Add kale, sweet peppers and Italian seasoning or Herbes de Provence and continue to cook for about 5 – 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add watercress and continue to cook until wilted, stirring frequently. Add pepper to taste and adjust taste. Cook all veggies until fully cooked under low to medium heat. Serve warm.