This Shrimp and Sausage Vegetable Skillet recipe is loaded with flavors and is an easy meal for any busy day of the week. This recipe is keto-friendly, low carb and you can add any vegetables you want.
Busy days are not uncommon for us at home. Developing recipes is fun and I am so glad that everyone is enjoying the delicious meals. I am happy that I can make simple meals that don’t cost too much.
Budgeting for meals to create skillet recipes
Budgeting for meals has not been easy these days because of Covid-19 restrictions on food and household essentials rationing. This also has caused a significant shift in food and lifestyle trends. As we are creating a new way of living and eating, it is normal that we look for ways to make life much simpler.
Skillet recipes are meals you prepare in a skillet, of course. You can also call them one-pot meals. And again, the food is cooked in one pot.
By cooking your food in one pot, not only you save time, but you also prepare your meals with ingredients that cook fast. Most of these ingredients may be reasonably priced, and discount savings will always bring a smile to our faces. Right?
For example, yellow squash cooks very fast and is affordable. Asparagus also cooks quickly but not so much affordable unless you buy it in bulk from Costco or BJ’s for example.
Shrimp, one of the most common and versatile seafood with different pricing based on quantity, size, and packaging. You have choices!
Cooking shrimp and sausage for a skillet meal
When cooking shrimp and sausage together, I recommend cooking the sausages first. The reason is that the sausages will take longer to cook. When you cook the shrimp in the same pan and after the sausage, they’ll soak up the flavors of the sausages and will taste more appetizing.
Ingredient for the recipe
I called these types of recipes effortless because you can practically choose any veggies you want. You don’t need to go overboard and try to create a feast that will take you hours to finish.
- Large or jumbo raw shrimp
- Uncured sausage (andouille, smoked, Italian, or kielbasa)
- Yellow squash (or zucchini)
- Olive oil
- Onion or shallots
- Noubess Fish and Seafood Seasoning
- Noubess Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- Fresh Garlic, if using other types of spice and herbs blend
- Noubess Hot and Spicy Mango Sauce, optional
- Salt, to taste
- Hot water
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice or lemon zest
How to make the recipe
To make the Shrimp and Sausage Vegetable Skillet, you will need a heavy bottom pan. If you don’t have a heavy bottom skillet you can always use a cast-iron skillet. The idea is for all the ingredients to cook evenly. When buying a cast iron pan or skillet I would recommend buying one that is already seasoned. I use a Le Creuset skillet because it gives me the result I need.
- First, prepare all the ingredients. Slice the sausages and set aside. Slice the yellow squash about 1/4 inch slices. Remove the tough ends of the asparagus and cut in half or third making sure that the cuts are somewhat the same size. Slice the onion or shallot(s) and set aside.
- For the shrimp, clean and deveined. Rinse quickly in a prepared lemon water bath. Do not soak the shrimp. Season the shrimp with olive oil, and Noubess Fish and Seafood Seasoning.
- Heat the oil in the cast-iron skillet under medium heat. Add sausages (the slices) and cook until golden brown on both sides. Remove and place on a plate.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook until pink for about 3 – 4 minutes. Remove and place it on the plate.
- You can add more oil if necessary
- Add the onion or shallot. Add the asparagus and the yellow squash to the pan. Sprinkle the veggies with Noubess Garlic and Herb Seasoning. Cook for about 3 – 4 minutes. Do not overcook the veggies. They must stay crunchy as they will taste much better.
- Add the shrimp and sausages to the vegetables. Add very little hot water to just deglaze the pan. Mix all the ingredients together and season to taste. Let cook for another 2 – 3 minutes. and remove from the heat. Serve immediately.
Notes and Tips
- Always prepare all your ingredients before cooking.
- Use a cast iron pan or a heavy bottom skillet.
- Try to use fresh vegetables as possible and do not overcook so they stay crunchy to the bite.
- Use good olive oil. You can also use Noubess Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Noubess Blood Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Don’t have Noubess Garlic and Herb Seasoning or Noubess Fish and Seafood Seasoning, use Mrs. Dash, or Italian Seasoning and fresh chopped garlic.
- This a skillet meal. You can serve it by itself if you are not in the mood for a starchy side or carb.
- You can also serve it with fresh bread, or a side of your preferred cooked grain. This recipe goes very well with Farro and Bulgur Wheat with a side of avocado.
- Do not add too much water. Only add hot water and about a few tablespoons to 1/4 cup.
- Large or jumbo shrimp are better than small or medium shrimp. You can all the ingredients to be about the same size.
- You can add other vegetables such as bell peppers, cabbage, broccolini or broccoli.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or lemon zest.
- This skillet meal takes less than 30 minutes to make.
- For added heat, add any of the Noubess Sauces.