Lately, there is so much going on with the food blog and my e-commerce site that I seldom have time to cook a full course meal during the week. A quick meal has been the norm for these past few weeks. Looking in my cupboard trying to figure out what to cook for dinner can be a nightmare when I ran out of leftovers from the weekend. Because I cook many dishes for the blog on weekends, I have more time to dedicate to sites maintenance during the week unless I feel like making something special during the week which always happens. A Spaghetti dish is sometimes the answer, and this time, I have chosen to make Spaghetti with Eggs and Bacon. It is a simple, delightful and tasty dish.
Spaghetti with Eggs and Bacon has one of the classic pasta sauces. Adding cream to this dish has been an option, but I think the simpler, the better. When certain ingredients are added to plain spaghetti, the dish has a unique taste. Each ingredient stands out and gives the pasta a different texture. Having an entire meal within minutes is the perfect choice for dinner. The eggs, bacon, and parmesan make a perfect combination.
I never realize how much flavor this dish had until I made it one day. Boiling spaghetti and frying the bacon are easy. It is the mixing of the eggs and the pasta that require a little speed in the kitchen. The original recipe calls for adding the hot pasta quickly to the eggs mixture and stirring until everything is blended and the heat from the pasta cooks the eggs. This is where I’ve become a little bit paranoid. I know this step is not supposed to be part of the recipe, but I do it anyway. When all the ingredients are well incorporated, I take the pasta back to the stove just for 2 – 3 minutes to make sure that the eggs are well cooked. I know! This is just me making sure that my stomach will be able to digest the food.
My best advice for this dish is to always start with a good pasta brand. You can never go wrong. Follow the cooking directions on the packaging and add the cooked bacon and the eggs mixture which includes salt, pepper, and grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy Spaghetti with Eggs and Bacon, the Italian way.
Photo credit: Depositphoto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup bacon cut into matchsticks
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 13.25 oz or 14oz spaghetti one regular box or bag
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- a dash of hot pepper flakes optional
- Bring a large pan of water to boil. Add salt and the spaghetti to the boiling water, and cook according to direction on package.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil, and sauté bacon and the garlic until the bacon renders its fat and starts to brown slightly. Remove and discard the garlic clove. Keep the bacon and its fat hot until needed.
- Warm a large serving bowl in the microwave for 1 - 2 minutes. Break the eggs into the bowl and add the parmesan cheese with a fork and season with salt, pepper and crushed pepper if using.
- As soon as the pasta is done cooking, drain and quickly mix into eggs mixture stirring to incorporate. Pour the hot bacon and its fat and continue to stir. The heat from the pasta and bacon fat will cook the eggs. Serve immediately.