Last updated on September 21st, 2021 at 02:40 pm
Making meals during the week doesn’t have to be hard or require a ton of preparation. As long as you have a well-stocked pantry and a well-stocked refrigerator, there should not be any problem with creating a quick meal any weeknight.
I always make sure that I have pasta in my pantry. And in my refrigerator, I also make sure that I have some vegetables.
Adding vegetables to pasta is a fantastic way to add more flavor and to create healthy meals. One of the ingredients I try to have on hand in my pantry is sun-dried tomatoes. Sun-dried have a long life shelf and are great with pasta and salad as well.
Watercress is also a must to have in my refrigerator. Watercress is a leafy green food source that is a close cousin to mustard greens, cabbage, and arugula.
It has a slight peppery taste. This versatile leafy green can be used in as a salad or an add on to salads, soup, legumes, and even in your juicing recipes.
My Spaghetti with sun-dried tomato and watercress begins with fresh garlic and thinly sliced hot pepper cooked in olive oil. Yes, ladies and gents! The thinly sliced hot pepper not only adds a pleasant aroma to the dish but also lots of bold flavors.
The good thing about it is the dish is not even peppery hot because only a small amount is needed.
Sun-dried tomatoes and parsley are added for that earthy healthy taste we all love. The pasta is combined with all those flavors for a refreshing and delicious taste. Last, is the main ingredient, watercress, that delivers a fresh and slightly crunchy taste.
The watercress is cooked slightly to release its flavor to complete the dish. Add a little bit of salt and black pepper, and you have a whole meal for any night you want a quick dinner.
Feel free to add your preferred cheese. You can also substitute the sun-dried tomatoes for fresh tomatoes.
Get cooking and enjoy this beautiful and delicious recipe with or without meat.
- 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4-6 garlic cloves chopped
- ¼ teaspoon scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 cups of sun-dried tomatoes sliced thin
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 16 oz bag of watercress or a bunch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until it is al dente, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Add olive oil in a large pan. Add garlic, hot pepper and cook for about 1 minute on low heat. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and parsley and continue to cook for about 1 minute until tomatoes have re-hydrated.
- Toss the hot pasta in the pan to mix with the ingredients. Add the reserved liquid as needed to keep the moisture.
- Add the watercress and toss to combine for 30 seconds to 1 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately serve with your preferred grated cheese.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.