The first day of Fall is approaching very quickly. Brrrrrr! What better way to get ready for the long winter months? Good old comfort foods! Spiced Beef with Dumplings just warms my heart every time I make it. I do not like the cold or snow and would love to be able to live in a warm place during winter.
When I was younger, I loved eating dumplings. I still do, and it is not the kind that has meat or vegetables inside. I like the old fashion dumplings made with flour, water, and spices, the ones you can shape any way you want. A recipe such as Spiced Beef with Dumplings is an excellent way to eat a full one meal. The dumplings replace the carbs; meat is your protein and the sauce made with peppers, onions, leeks, carrots and tomatoes, you might say is your veggie side.
Starting the recipe the right way requires some necessary steps. It is best to buy a good cut of beef, season the meat well and cook it on low heat until tender. The sauce is then prepared with the veggies, and the meat is added to absorb the flavors of the vegetables. Dumplings are added last to make this meal a one pot dish or meal. This is the perfect way to complete a stew and to satisfy hungry bellies.
Whenever I make this dish, I don’t have to worry about making a side of rice because of the dumplings. This is what I call an easy meal. Enjoy!
[ihc-hide-content ihc_mb_type=”block” ihc_mb_who=”unreg” ihc_mb_template=”1″ ]
For the Meat:
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds beef flank
- 1 lime to clean meat
- 3 medium tomatoes peeled and seeds removed
- 2 medium onion sliced
- 2 medium leeks chopped finely
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 1 red sweet pepper
- 1 green sweet pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 bouquet garni parsley, thyme and bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 hot pepper scotch bonnet or habanero
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Dumplings
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the meat into medium to large cubes and clean by rubbing/squeezing the lime onto each cube. Rinse with water and place meat into a large saucepan and cover generously with cold water and bring to a boil. Skim off the froth. Add onions, leeks, carrots, bouquet garni, cloves, coriander, 2 cloves of garlic and 1 hot pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Prepare the dumplings. Mix the ingredients until a dough is formed. Leave aside for 20 minutes.
- Chop the remaining onions, peel and remove the seeds from the sweet peppers, then cook together in oil until brown. Add tomatoes. Season and allow to simmer. Form small balls from the dough and roll in flour. When the meat is cooked, sieve the sauce through a strainer. Cook the dumplings in this broth. Arrange meat on a serving plate. Add the vegetables and dumplings. Sprinkle with juice from 1 lime.