Last updated on November 22nd, 2022 at 01:29 pm
A delicious beef stew with just the right amount of herbs and spices to top the chart of comfort foods. The perfect marriage between beef and dumplings, every bite melts in your mouth.
The first day of Fall is approaching very quickly. A nice breeze of fresh air is what we all need after many hot summer days. What better way to get ready for the long winter months?
Good old comfort foods! Spiced Beef with Dumplings warms my heart every time I make it.
I used to love eating dumplings when I was younger. But now that I am older and with all the talks about carbs and starchy foods, I have to balance my diet. It is not easy as adults now that we cannot eat everything we used to eat when we were younger.
A sensible diet! This phrase is all you hear about these days. The perfect and easy way to have a sensible diet is by going back to basics.
The simple way to make this Beef Stew recipe
You can only make this Spiced Beef with Dumplings recipe the old fashion way. By old fashion way, I mean using pots and pans. No need to use a crockpot or slow cooker. You certainly need a large dutch oven so all the ingredients in the beef stew can cook evenly.
The first step is to marinate the meat with herbs and spices and then cook it. While the meat is cooking, the perfect dumpling recipe combines flour, water, dried spices, and salt. The dried spices are parsley, garlic powder, and crushed or red pepper flakes.
Shape the dumplings any way you want, in small, medium, or large sizes. The dumplings will cook in the beef stew and will have more flavor.
The recipe must start the right way to achieve the flavors you want. It is best to buy a good cut of beef meat. The meat is seasoned well and then cooked on low heat until tender. The sauce is then prepared with the veggies, and the meat is added to absorb the flavors of the vegetables.
Dumplings are added last to make this meal a one-pot dish or meal. This is the perfect way to complete a beef stew and satisfy hungry bellies.
If you intend to serve this dish as a one-meal dinner, Spiced Beef with Dumplings is an excellent way to eat a full one meal. There’s no need to add potatoes. You can also serve it with a side salad or a side of steamed broccoli. The dumplings replace the carbs; meat is your protein, and the sauce is made with peppers, onions, leeks, carrots, and tomatoes, which you might say, is your veggie side.
Whenever I make this dish, I don’t have to worry about making a side of rice because of the dumplings. This is what I call an easy one-pot beef stew meal. Enjoy!
Here’s the recipe.
For the Meat:
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds beef shank cut into cubes or small pieces
- 1 lime to clean meat
- 3 medium tomatoes peeled and seeds removed
- 2 medium onion sliced
- 2 medium leeks chopped finely
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 1 red sweet pepper sliced
- 1 green sweet pepper sliced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 bouquet garni parsley, thyme and bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon coriander dry preferably
- 1 hot pepper scotch bonnet or habanero
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Dumplings
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 whole eggs at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the meat into medium to large cubes and clean by rubbing/squeezing the lime onto each cube. Rinse with water and place meat into a large saucepan and cover generously with cold water and bring to a boil. Skim off the froth. Add onions, leeks, carrots, bouquet garni, cloves, coriander, 2 cloves of garlic and 1 hot pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Prepare the dumplings. Mix the ingredients until a dough is formed. Leave aside for 20 minutes.
- Chop the remaining onions, peel and remove the seeds from the sweet peppers, then cook together in oil until brown. Add tomatoes. Season and allow to simmer. Form small balls from the dough and roll in flour. When the meat is cooked, sieve the sauce through a strainer. Cook the dumplings in this broth. Arrange meat on a serving plate. Add the vegetables and dumplings. Sprinkle with juice from 1 lime.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.