Cod Fish is best when fresh. As a favorite fish, its flavor is mild, and if the spices added to the dish are not right, it is easy to end up with a blend of seafood dishes. I cook cod fish in different ways and many times I cannot even remember the recipes.
With this recipe, I decided to fry the spices and herb in butter. The cod fish is also pan-seared in the same pan. For an authentic taste, and to enhance the flavors of the herbs and the cod an aromatic dry white wine finished with lemon juice tops it all.
I cannot say that I enjoyed this recipe with a side dish because I will not be telling the truth. When I tasted the sauce, I immediately thought about bread. There is something about wine and butter that I cannot explain. Maybe because I love wine, butter, and bread; who knows? So, not too be so bad, I did eat a salad and soon after, satisfied my greediness with the spicy codfish with white wine with a nice piece of crusty bread.
Note: To make Spicy Cod Fish with White Wine, use a good dry white wine and a good brand of butter. The habanero pepper will not make the dish hot if you do not add the seeds – it will give it a nice peppery taste.
- 1 1/2 lb Fresh Cod Fillet about 1 large fillet, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon White Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 small Shallots julienned
- 2 stalks Scallions sliced
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoon Fresh Parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 Habanero Pepper no seeds
- 1 teaspoon Thyme leaves only
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup white wine
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- Cut large fillet into smaller fillets – about 1 – 2 inch pieces. Gently rinse the fillets with vinegar and plenty of water. Pat dry and set aside on a large plate. Sprinkle salt and pepper or seafood seasoning if preferred.
- On low to medium heat, in a nonstick skillet preferably, fry all spices in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from pan while trying to remove most of the butter. In the same pan, add cod fillets in batches and sear spice side down first. Cook 2 minutes per sides, longer if pieces are thicker. When done cooking fillets, pour wine slowly into pan and scrape bottom. Bring to a boil and let the wine reduce by at least half. Add spice blend to wine than cod fish. Cook 3 to 5 minutes to finish cooking cod. Drizzle juice of 1/2 lemon on fish and transfer to plate to serve
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.