Spicy Cod Fish with White Wine is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for a weeknight meal. The cod is cooked in a flavorful sauce made with white wine, crushed red pepper flakes, and garlic. The dish is then finished with a squeeze of lemon juice and some fresh parsley.
This dish is a great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health. It is also low in calories and fat, making it a healthy option for those watching their weight.
Spicy Cod Fish with Wine is your favorite recipe but with a twist. We’ve added some spice and white wine to the mix, and it’s so good! The cod is flaky and delicious; the sauce is creamy and flavorful; the vegetables are fresh and bright. It’s a perfect dish for any occasion.
Cod fish is a favorite fish for a reason: it has a mild flavor and is versatile enough to be cooked in many different ways. However, it is important to choose the right spices and cooking method to ensure that the cod does not become bland or overcooked.
In this recipe, the cod is pan-seared in butter with a blend of spices and herbs. This helps to develop the flavor of the fish and give it a crispy crust. The cod is then finished with a sauce made with dry white wine and lemon juice. The acidity of the wine and lemon juice helps to balance the richness of the butter and enhances the flavors of the herbs.
Health benefits of Codfish
Cod fish is a nutritious and healthy food choice. It is a low-fat, high-protein source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for good health. Cod is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, niacin, selenium, and iodine.
Here are some of the health benefits of cod fish:
- Heart health: Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and improve cholesterol levels, all of which are important factors in heart health.
- Brain health: Omega-3 fatty acids are also important for brain development and function. They have been shown to improve memory, cognitive function, and reduce the risk of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease.
- Bone health: Cod is a good source of vitamin D, which is essential for bone health. Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium, which is necessary for strong bones and teeth.
- Thyroid health: Cod is a good source of iodine, which is essential for thyroid function. Iodine helps the thyroid produce hormones that regulate metabolism, growth, and development.
In addition to these health benefits, cod fish is also a versatile and affordable food. It can be cooked in many different ways, including baking, grilling, frying, and poaching. Cod is also a good source of lean protein, which is important for maintaining muscle mass and promoting weight loss.
Overall, cod fish is a healthy and nutritious food choice that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
Ingredients for the Spicy Cod Fish with White Wine recipe
The ingredients in this recipe are all relatively simple and common, but they come together to create a delicious and flavorful dish.
Fresh Cod Fillet: Cod is a mild-flavored white fish that is popular in many different cuisines. It is a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health.
White Vinegar: White vinegar is a mild vinegar that is often used in cooking and baking. It adds a bit of acidity to dishes, which helps to balance out other flavors.
Water: Water is used to cook the cod and to thin out the sauce.
Butter: Butter adds a rich flavor and creaminess to the dish. It is also used to cook the shallots and scallions.
Shallots: Shallots are a type of onion that is milder in flavor and has a slightly sweeter taste. They are often used in French cooking.
Scallions: Scallions, also known as green onions, are a type of onion that has a long, slender green stem and a white bulb. They have a mild onion flavor and are often used as a garnish.
Fresh Parsley: Parsley is a fresh herb that has a bright, peppery flavor. It is often used as a garnish, but it can also be added to dishes for flavor.
Habanero Pepper: Habanero peppers are very spicy chili peppers. They are used in this recipe to add a bit of heat to the dish. However, you can omit them or use a less spicy pepper if you prefer.
Thyme: Thyme is a fresh herb that has a woodsy, earthy flavor. It is often used in Mediterranean cooking.
Salt and Pepper: Salt and pepper are two of the most basic seasonings, but they are essential for bringing out the flavor of the other ingredients.
White Wine: White wine adds a bit of acidity and complexity to the dish. It also helps to cook the cod and thin out the sauce.
Lemon Juice: Lemon juice adds a bright, citrusy flavor to the dish. It is also used to thin out the sauce.
When combined, these ingredients create a flavorful and satisfying dish that is perfect for any occasion.
Notes and Tips for Spicy Cod Fish with White Wine
- Add more crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce for a spicier dish.
- Use chicken or vegetable broth instead if you don’t have white wine.
- To ensure the cod is cooked through, insert a fork into the thickest part of the fillet. If it flakes easily, it is done.
- Serve the cod with your favorite sides, such as rice, roasted vegetables, crusty bread or a salad.
To make Spicy Cod Fish with White Wine, use a good dry white wine and a good brand of butter. The habanero pepper will not make the dish hot if you do not add the seeds – it will give it a nice peppery taste.
- 1 1/2 lb Fresh Cod Fillet about 1 large fillet, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon White Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 small Shallots julienned
- 2 stalks Scallions sliced
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoon Fresh Parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 Habanero Pepper no seeds
- 1 teaspoon Thyme leaves only
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup white wine
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- Cut large fillet into smaller fillets – about 1 – 2 inch pieces. Gently rinse the fillets with vinegar and plenty of water. Pat dry and set aside on a large plate. Sprinkle salt and pepper or seafood seasoning if preferred.
- On low to medium heat, in a nonstick skillet preferably, fry all spices in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from pan while trying to remove most of the butter. In the same pan, add cod fillets in batches and sear spice side down first. Cook 2 minutes per sides, longer if pieces are thicker. When done cooking fillets, pour wine slowly into pan and scrape bottom. Bring to a boil and let the wine reduce by at least half. Add spice blend to wine than cod fish. Cook 3 to 5 minutes to finish cooking cod. Drizzle juice of 1/2 lemon on fish and transfer to plate to serve
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.