These Spicy Langoustines have a strong peppery flavor because of the Chili Garlic Paste and a nice acidic taste because of the Champagne Vinegar. A langoustine is a small edible lobster. Langoustines are sold both fresh and frozen.
The shells are usually removed when they are frozen, and there is not much to do but cleaning. Just a good soaking with lemon or lime juice mixed with cold water will suffice. The langoustines will have a fresh lime or lemon smell once soaked. After soaking, they should be drained thoroughly as they easily retain water.
Once added to the pan, they cook very fast, and it is best to cook any other ingredients you want to add, such as peppers and onions, first. The Champagne vinegar gives the dish a mildly acidic flavor. It can be substituted with Rice Wine Vinegar which is also milder than regular white wine vinegar.
The Spicy Langoustines can be served with my Black Mushroom Rice (Riz Djon-Djon) which is a traditional Haitian rice dish. Although shrimp is the preferred way to enjoy Black Mushroom Rice (Riz Djon-Djon), the langoustine is an excellent alternative.
Enjoy this dish with your favorite grain or pasta dish.
- 2 cups langoustines frozen but thawed
- 1/2 lime juice only, lemon can also be used as well
- cold water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks scallions finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili garlic paste
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp champagne vinegar
- Add thawed langoustines in a large bowl with lime juice and cold water. Let soak for a couple of minutes and drain. Make sure the water is completely drained.
- In a frying pan or skillet, add garlic, onions and scallions. Let fry for about 2 minutes then add langoustines. If you notice the langoustines have water, let cook until the water is almost evaporated. It should take about 2 minutes on medium high heat. Add chill paste, oyster sauce and champagne vinegar. Keep stirring until everything is completely blended. Cook another 3 – 4 minutes, remove from heat and serve hot.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.