I have been fighting with myself for several months because I did not want to share this recipe for Spicy Pork Shoulder cooked in rum. My late father inspired this recipe.
My father loved to cook with wine, rum, and whiskey. If my dad prepares duck for you, you will never want to eat it anywhere else. He was the master at cooking with alcohol. Surprisingly, none of us became alcoholics. LOL!!!
I originally refused to share the recipe because I thought it was too good to share and that it would be stolen. But in any case, it will not be as good as mine. A chef told me recently that it does not matter how many times you share a recipe; everyone cooks differently and uses different types of spices, ingredients, etc… The taste will never be the same.
Best to cook pork in a crockpot
Pork and beef cook very well in a crockpot. The meat comes out tender, juicy, and full of flavor. It is so worth it to cook a whole piece of meat in a crockpot—no need to worry about cooking time, flipping the roast, etc. Just add your spice and set the cooking time. This little appliance or tool is with every penny.
With a crockpot, cooking becomes easy instantly- no wasting time. All you have to do is make sure you season the meat correctly and add enough liquid.
Making this recipe is a breeze. It would be best to have the right seasoning blend, a good rum, and fresh juicy tomatoes. The recipe is for a 3-pound pork shoulder. You can also use a pork shank. If you choose to cook a larger piece of meat, add more seasoning, more rum, and more tomatoes.
The taste will be different every time you make it with different types of spices. It will also taste differently depending on the rum you choose. What many people don’t understand is that, when cooking, the types of ingredients matter. For example, you can add whatever kind of brand of rum you want. The brand and type matter because not all rums are made the same way. The process is different.
I use Rum Barbancourt, a Haitian rum with bold flavors, juicy Campari tomatoes, a mixture of herbs and spices, and Noubess Hot and Spicy Original with herbs blend. The flavors from this recipe will be different if you add other types of condiments and spices to know.
Other pork shoulder recipes ideas
Here’s the recipe and enjoy!
- 3 pounds pork shoulder or picnic shoulder cut in cubes or 2 – 3 inches
- 1/4 cup sour orange
- 1/2 cup Rum Barbancourt
- 1/4 cup lime juice fresh, about 2 – 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme leaves only
- 2 scallions chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped thinly
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Additional Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce for dipping sauce
- Place the pork shoulder inside the crockpot. Add all ingredients, cover with lid, and cook for 4 – 5 hours on high depending on your crockpot.
- Remove from liquid, place on a serving platter. Make a creole sauce with remaining liquid and serve with meat.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.