This recipe is my favorite and delicious way to cook string beans. Crunchy, salty and delicious is the best way to describe this dish. A medley of vegetables was created in 30 minutes and just in time for dinner.
This recipe for String Beans with Tomato and Apple is similar to many of my dishes created by accident. I often combine vegetables to create healthy dishes. Those recipes are often excellent because I think by now I know how to create the right combination of flavors.
What are string beans
String beans contain a very high amount of fiber. They are low in calory and have no fat or cholesterol. The no-fat part is good news considering that we are all trying to limit our fat intake. Green beans are one of the healthiest vegetables to cook for dinner at least 3 – 4 times a month.
Love apples? Try them in with your vegetables
Do you know that “most apples are harvested in the fall, held in a modified-air environment (low humidity, low oxygen, and high carbon dioxide) to slow down the ripening process? They may be held in this environment for as long as 11 months. This storage information may give you the impression that apples are very durable. However, they won’t last long unless you refrigerate them.” (http://shelflifeadvice.com/fruit/fresh-fruit/apples)
The recipe is easy to make and can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. Just enough time to get dinner ready on the table. It is also a great vegan or vegetarian meal.
Olive oil, garlic, string beans, tomatoes, onion, 1 or 2 apples, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste is all you need to make this delectable vegetable dish. Oh! And by the way, my vegetarian friends and readers, you will enjoy this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds string beans both ends removed
- 1 to mato diced
- ½ cup sweet pepper red, orange or yellow, julienned or diced
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cooking apple core removed, peeled and diced (Red Delicious, Gala, Cortland or Empire)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a skillet, add oil and garlic. Let the garlic slices release their aroma but do not brown. Add string beans and let cook while stirring/tossing for about 2 minutes. Add tomato, sweet pepper, onion and let cook for another 2 more minutes stirring. Add diced apple and stir to mix. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir. Lower heat and let mixture cook until string beans are tender. Only add water is necessary. Add just a few tablespoons of water if necessary. It is best to let the vegetables cook in their own juice. Cook the string beans to your desired tenderness.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
Always choose ingredients without corn or corn derivatives.
Updated and republished. Originally published October 22, 2014.