A favorite and appetizing way to cook string beans. This recipe for String Beans with Tomato and Apple similar to many of my dishes happened by accident. Crunchy, salty and delicious is how I can describe this dish.
String beans contain a very high amount of fiber. The beans are also are low in calory and contain no fat or no cholesterol.
Do you know that “most apples are harvested in the fall, held in a modified-air environment (low humidity, low oxygen, and high carbon dioxide) to slow down the ripening process? They may be held in this environment as long as 11 months. This storage information may give you the impression that apples are very durable. However, they won’t last long unless you refrigerate them.” (http://shelflifeadvice.com/fruit/fresh-fruit/apples)
The recipe is easy to make and can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. Just enough time to get dinner ready on the table.
Olive oil, garlic, string beans, tomatoes, onion, 1 or 2 apples, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste is all you need to make this delectable vegetable dish. Oh! And by the way, my vegetarian friends and readers, you will enjoy this recipe.
[ihc-hide-content ihc_mb_type=”block” ihc_mb_who=”unreg” ihc_mb_template=”1″ ]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds string beans both ends removed
- 1 to mato diced
- ½ cup sweet pepper red, orange or yellow, julienned or diced
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cooking apple core removed, peeled and diced (Red Delicious, Gala, Cortland or Empire)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a skillet, add oil and garlic. Let the garlic slices release their aroma but do not brown. Add string beans and let cook while stirring/tossing for about 2 minutes. Add tomato, sweet pepper, onion and let cook for another 2 more minutes stirring. Add diced apple and stir to mix. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir. Lower heat and let mixture cook until string beans are tender. Only add water is necessary. Add just a few tablespoons of water if necessary. It is best to let the vegetables cook in their own juice. Cook the string beans to your desired tenderness.