Last updated on September 21st, 2021 at 02:37 pm
Sweet Potatoes with Vinaigrette is a dish from the Caribbean. The main ingredient, Caribbean Sweet Potato can be substituted for any types of red-skinned, white flesh potatoes.
The Caribbean Sweet potato is also called white sweet potato, patate, batata boniato, or camote. It resembles the Japanese sweet potato but is it not. They are similar in texture but different in appearance. The Japanese sweet potato skin is smoother than its counterpart.
There are dozens of sweet potato varieties. Also referred as a yam in some part of the world, the skin is purple and the inside white. Its flavor is delicate, as it is easy to lose its sweetness when boiled too long.
The Caribbean Sweet Potato is easy to cook. Baked, boiled, mashed, fried, grilled, sautéed, it is versatile as any other sweet potato.
Root vegetables such as the Caribbean Sweet Potato is referred to ground-provision. Ground-provisions have one common use. When added to a meal, such as bouillon or soup, or porridge, Caribbean sweet potato is an excellent source of energy food.
The health benefits of sweet potatoes are the same; excellent source of vitamins A and C and a good source of fiber.
In the Caribbean, sweet potatoes are served for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the occasional snack.
Sweet Potato with Vinaigrette consists of boiled patate or batata served with a vinaigrette made with fresh herbs and spices.
- 1 pound sweet potato batatas - white flesh sweet potato
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar figs, rice vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 2 scallions finely chopped/1/3 cup shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and peel potatoes. Cut into 2 inch cubes.
- In a heavy bottom pot, add sweet potatoes with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until soft but still firm. Remove from water and set aside.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, prepare vinaigrette. In a small bowl, mix oil, vinegar, scallions, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Pour vinaigrette on warm sweet potatoes. Mix carefully.
- Serve immediately.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.