It is always fun to be off from work when the weather is wonderful. After a long beautiful weekend, a healthy breakfast is the only way I can start this new week. My Swiss Chard and Egg Ciabatta Sandwich is the only way I can start my morning because I know for sure this week will be a long, long week.
It is uncommon to have a leafy green vegetable like Swiss chard as part of breakfast. Many green vegetables are served either at lunchtime or dinnertime. What if we start incorporating more greens in our breakfast? That would be super! But, wait! Who would be proud of me, proud of you? Um! I guess I will, and you would be proud of yourselves as well. Doctors would certainly stop singing the healthy eating song. You know that song! The one that always starts with “you need to eat your greens, exercise….” That one! I don’t blame them, they just want the best for us; we are so stubborn.
Swiss Chard is a unique and very popular leafy green. Swiss Chard contains antioxidants that are also found in broccoli, kale, strawberries and many other foods. It is also very popular as spinach, rich in nutrients and very well-known around the world.
[ihc-hide-content ihc_mb_type=”block” ihc_mb_who=”unreg” ihc_mb_template=”1″ ]
Swiss Chard cooks very quickly, and it is recommended to eat the greener part of the leaf and not the white stem because the stem is tougher. Always remember to add a leafy green vegetable in your diet and always eat a healthy breakfast! Try my Swiss Chard and Egg Ciabatta Sandwich.
- 1 bunch Swiss chard fresh, clean and cut small
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp italian seasonings or a combination of dried herbs spice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 - 6 large eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- Preferred Cheese optional
- In a skillet under low to medium heat, add oil, garlic and swiss chard. Mix well. Add dried seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Let swiss chard cook first and add very little water gradually to cook vegetable. Keep stirring and after 4 - 5 minutes, lower heat and cover and let cook for a few more minutes until fully cooked but still crunchy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare eggs. Cook according to your liking. Fried or scrambled.
- To arrange sandwiches: add swiss chard first following by egg for each sandwich. Add sliced cheese if preferred. Serve immediately or keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.