I seldom make Taco Shrimp Salad. I make it when I am not in the mood to cook a heavy meal for dinner or when I want a light meal for lunch or just a simple snack. This Taco Shrimp Salad was inspired by Taquitos which is defined in Wikipedia, as a Mexican food dish consisting of a small rolled-up tortilla and some type of filling, usually beef or chicken. The filled tortilla is crisp-fried. Corn (maize) tortillas are generally used to make taquitos, though flour is sometimes used.
To avoid frying tortillas, I used taco shells and shrimp instead of beef or chicken. The second inspiration is from Sushi Samba, a restaurant serving fusion foods. Their Crispy Taquitos is made with exotic ingredients and seafood. To make this dish, I use the Stand n Stuff Taco Shells because they hold the shrimp salad better.
The dish is made with steamed shrimps that have been cut in small pieces, red onions, hearts of palm, parsley, ginger, salt, black pepper, lemon juice and avocado. The flavor of each ingredient is not overwhelming. I usually let the shrimp salad marinate for a few minutes so all the spices and flavor could blend perfectly. This is not an over the top tasty dish. In my opinion it is somewhat mild in taste but still flavorful, quick and simple.
I have tried this dish with a few salad dressings but haven’t found the right one. I think the issue may be the texture of the avocado and the blend taste of the hearts of palm. For now I can say that this is not bad at all for a light snack or a quick appetizer. Hope you will enjoy it. And please feel free to let me know if you have found the perfect dressing for this dish. I will definitely try it and give my opinion.
- 8 large shrimp cleaned and deveined; yield 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice fresh
- 2 tablespoons red onions chopped finely
- 6 tablespoons hearts of palm chopped finely - 2 medium size
- 1 cup avocados cut in small chunks
- ½ tablespoon fresh parsley chopped finely
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 taco shells
- 1 dash hot pepper flakes - optional
- In a pot, add cleaned shrimp with 1 teaspoon lemon juice and enough water to cover. Boil for 5 - 7 minutes until shrimp are fully cooked. Remove shrimp from water. Chopped finely and set aside.
- In a bowl, add shrimp and the rest of all the ingredients. Stir to blend and place bowl in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes before serving to allow all flavors to blend. Add shrimp mixture into taco shells and serve.