Tassot de Cabrit is Fried Goat Meat Bits. Tassot de Cabrit is a very traditional Haitian meat dish. A goat leg or Gigot is used to make this recipe.
When buying goat meat, the preferred choice is fresh meat from a butcher. If not available, frozen goat meat can be used. Goat meat can be very fatty. The best way to enjoy Tassot de Cabrit is with a lean Goat’s Leg.
The price per pound for a leaner goat’s leg is usually higher than the regular meat. This day and age, it matters what animals eat. The better they are fed, the better it is for us carnivores. The leaner the meat, the better you will feel for not wasting your money when the meat is sitting in a pot of fat. That is not appetizing at all.
When purchasing goat meat, you need to make sure that the meat is not cut too small or too big. The pieces are usually 2 or 3 inches in size. The meat is cleaned with a high acidic agent, vinegar or sour orange because of its strong odor and taste. It is then seasoned for a few hours or overnight for flavor enhancement.
The meat is boiled and then deep-fried or baked in the oven. It is usually enjoyed with sides of salad, fried plantains, and rice. Tassot de Cabrit is considered a fritter and therefore is also incorporated in Fritaille. Enjoy this dish with Pikliz (Hot Pepper Mixture). Hope you will enjoy the recipe.
- 3 lb goat meat cubed
- ½ cup sour orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper Habanero preferably
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bouquet garni Thyme and Parsley
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 2 shallots chopped finely
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups oil if frying only
- Clean the meat and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight with sour orange juice, lime juice, hot pepper and salt. Add meat to a pot and let boil first without adding any water. When the water starts to decrease, add 1 cup of water with bouquet garni, and add more water when necessary. More water may be needed for meat to be very tender. Remove meat from cooking liquid and set aside. Do not throw away cooking liquid. Heat oil and fry pieces. Do not overcrowd the pan when frying.
- Serve with a sauce prepared with 1 cup of cooking liquid, with chopped parsley, shallots and additional shopped hot pepper. Serve hot.
- If baking meat, add pieces to baking dish and bake until meat is perfectly roasted. May take about 20 to 25 minutes. Drizzle meat with oil prior to baking. If roasting on a fire grill, drizzle with oil first.