Tassot de Cabrit is Fried Goat Meat Bits is a very traditional Haitian meat dish. A goat leg or Gigot is used to make this recipe.
When buying goat meat, the preferred choice is fresh meat from a butcher. You may also want to buy Halal meat goat if you can. If not available, you can use frozen goat meat. Goat meat can be very fatty. The best way to enjoy Tassot de Cabrit is with a lean Goat’s Leg.
A few notes on buying goat meat
The price per pound for a leaner goat’s leg is usually higher than the regular meat. In this day and age, it matters what animals eat. The better the goats are nourished, the better it is for us carnivores. The leaner the meat, the better you will feel for not wasting your money when the meat is sitting in a pot of fat. That is not appealing at all!
When purchasing goat meat, you need to make sure that the meat is not cut too small or too large. The pieces are usually 2 or 3 inches in size. The meat is cleaned with a high acidic agent such as vinegar or sour orange because of its strong odor and taste. It is then seasoned for a few hours or overnight for flavor enhancement.
Tassot de Cabrit is considered a fritter, and because of that, it is part of our combination platter called “Fritaille.”
- 3 lb goat meat cubed
- ½ cup sour orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper Habanero preferably
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bouquet garni Thyme and Parsley
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 2 shallots chopped finely
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups oil if frying only
- Clean the meat and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight with sour orange juice, lime juice, hot pepper and salt. Add meat to a pot and let boil first without adding any water. When the water starts to decrease, add 1 cup of water with bouquet garni, and add more water when necessary. More water may be needed for meat to be very tender. Remove meat from cooking liquid and set aside. Do not throw away cooking liquid. Heat oil and fry pieces. Do not overcrowd the pan when frying.
- Serve with a sauce prepared with 1 cup of cooking liquid, with chopped parsley, shallots and additional shopped hot pepper. Serve hot.
- If roasting in the oven, place pieces into a baking dish and roast until meat is golden brown. May take about 20 to 25 minutes. Drizzle meat with a little oil and fresh lemon juice prior to roasting. If roasting on a fire grill, drizzle with oil first.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.