For turkey lovers out there, this traditional dish is probably just what you need if you are looking for a way to add more delicious dishes on the table. Tassot is a popular Haitian dish traditionally prepared with meat or poultry. The meat or poultry is marinated, cooked and then fried and served with a hot pepper sauce.
This easy recipe usually includes white meat and dark meat. My preferred way is with dark meat. Marinated with the right amount of spices, cooked and fried to perfection. Best served with Pikliz for a spicy taste. Add a creole sauce and enjoy with fried plantains or rice with djon djon.
- 5 pounds dark turkey meat cut or sliced into 1 - 2" thick (thighs, legs, and wings)
- 4 tablespoons basic herbs and spices blend thyme, parsley, garlic, scallions or
- 1 whole pepper or a few drops of hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ oil olive oil
- Oil for frying
- Clean, rinse and pat dry meat pieces. In a small bowl, mix spices blend, paprika, lemon juice and oil. Place meat in a large bowl or pot. Pour spices mixture and mix well. Cover and let marinate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- In a dutch oven or a heavy bottom pan, cook turkey meat thoroughly. Add water if necessary. When cooked, let cool for about 10 minutes. Remove from cooking liquid and place on a plate ready to be fried.
- In a deep fryer or deep pot, add oil and heat to 350 degrees F. Fry turkey pieces until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with a creole sauce prepare with the leftover cooking liquid or with Pikliz.