Last updated on December 4th, 2021 at 07:44 pm
The brands and types of rice used for cooking are an essential part of most cuisines to prepare delicious rice recipes. From main courses to appetizers, rice dishes can be used in many ways.
We received a lot of requests for the type of rice we use in our kitchen to cook our delicious rice recipe. By we, I mean my sister and me. I decided to share the varieties of rice and brands we use when preparing a rice dish at home. I will also share our opinions on why we use specific rice brands to make plain rice and other brands, such as rice and beans.
Rice is not an ingredient we cook every day. Farro, millet, quinoa, or bulgur wheat are other types of grains we also consume. Vegetables are also an essential part of our everyday meals. We take our meals very seriously; therefore, the brands and types of rice are also important for our diet and needs.
We mostly use 3 types of rice
In a typical month, you may find the following recipes on our table:
- BROWNED AND CRISPY CHICKEN WITH RICE AND CHICKPEAS
- SIMPLE AND QUICK JASMINE RICE WITH GREEN PEAS AND TOMATO
- THE PERFECT CARIBBEAN RICE AND BEANS RECIPE
We mainly use jasmine rice for its fragrance and texture. We also consume basmati rice and other types of rice (red and wild rice). Here are the brands you will likely find in our pantry. Don’t forget to check Amazon for those brands of rice.
- Madame Gougousse Rice, Jasmine Rice, Extra Long Grains: we purchase this type of rice in regular supermarket because of pricing. We prefer to make white rice with this type of rice because of the texture. I prefer my white rice a bit mushy and not too grainy to enjoy with my bean soup recipes or stews.
- Kirkland Signature Jasmine Rice: we use this rice to make white rice, rice and beans and other mixed rice recipes. We find that this rice is perfect for rice pudding. This is a backup rice for us when cooking for several people. It has not failed us yet and you can find it at Costco.
- Mahmood Basmati Rice, 1121 Sella Rice from Pakistan: We love this rice. This is one of the best rice we have found so far. It make great vegetables rice, rice and beans, and rice with djon djon mushroom. It is also great plain. A bit pricey but it is all worth it for a festive dinner.
- Goya Jasmine Rice: Same as the Kirkland Rice, is a an all-purpose rice for us. We don’t buy it often because it can be kida of pricey.
Why do we buy rice in bulk?
You may be asking yourself why we have all these types of rice when we do not cook rice every day or why do we do it. Here’s the answer.
First and foremost, we love saving money. We usually buy between 10 – 25 pounds of rice, and they are divided among three families. When you buy rice in bulk, you save money, and if you don’t eat it every day, it works. This method has worked for us, as we have been doing it for a while.
Do all brands or types of rice cook the same way?
Not all of the rice mentioned above cook the same way. Some require more water than others. A good rule of thumb is to measure a 1-to-1 ratio when trying new rice and adjust the water accordingly, usually 1/4 cup at a time.
How many pounds should I get and how to store my rice
Buy what you can afford, and it depends on the number of mouths you will be feeding. A cup of raw rice, when cooked, is usually for 2 to 2 1/2 servings. Make sure you read the instructions on the packaging.
By the way, the Mahmood Rice from Pakistan mentioned soaking the rice. We do not use the soaking method. We primarily cook the rice the same way we do with the other and the same way we do in the Caribbean.
To store rice, use plastic or glass containers to store rice. Also, make sure that the container is located in a well-ventilated area. Do not store the rice in a hot and humid pantry or cupboard. Once opened, the rice should be stored in a cool, dry place in a tightly closed container that keeps out dust, moisture, and other contaminants.
So here it is! If you have a type of rice, you would like us to try with our recipes or have been attempting with our recipes, are happy with the results, please do let us know.