Cooking Rice and Beans requires patience and fresh ingredients. The best way to have a winning recipe is finding the best red beans brand. Whichever brand name you choose, the cooking process will also vary. Beans, in general, contains a lot of nutrients that are useful to the body.
There are many different ways to incorporate beans into your diets. The Perfect Rice and Beans dish is an excellent choice to serve with Chicken in Creole Sauce or any meat sauce. To make this recipe, you can use either white rice or yellow rice.
Although the norm is to use yellow rice, a good white rice will also taste great. Not every type of brand of rice makes great dishes when mixed with other ingredients. My preferred choice is basmati rice. There is no need to add a lot of water. Just enough water to cook the rice and you are ready to go.
Also, this dish can be made with red kidney beans or black beans. No matter what you choose to add, it will always be a great recipe.
Enjoy The Perfect Rice and Beans!
Rice and Beans: adapted and updated. Recipe from My Favorite Recipes by Marie-Denise Celestin.
- 3 cups long-grain rice yellow rice preferred but not necessary
- 1/2 cup red or black kidney beans
- 1/4 cup of oil
- 4 cups cooking liquid for the beans
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 medium onion or 3 scallions
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 whole habanero or scotch bonnet pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste or a cube of chicken bouillon
- Boil beans in 6 cups of water (adding more water if necessary - cooking time will vary between 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on beans). Do not overcook the beans. Drain beans, set aside and save water for later use. Measure beans water - need 5 1/4 cups of beans water for the rice. If you don't have enough add hot water and return the pot with the bean water to the stove and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil turn off heat.
- In a heavy bottom pot over medium heat, add oil, crushed garlic, onion or scallions, thyme and parsley. Fry for 5 minutes while stirring (do not allow garlic to burn). Add the drained beans to the mixture, whole cloves salt and pepper to taste or chicken bouillon cube. Let fry approximately 5 to 7 minutes on low to medium heat and be careful not to crush the beans. Add beans water, vinegar (secret ingredient) and the whole pepper (do not burst or crush the pepper, leave whole).
- Cover and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 5 minutes. Remove pepper and verify the seasoning. Add the rice to the mixture and mix delicately. Let boil and wait until liquid has almost evaporated, lower heat and cover to continue cooking. Allow rice to cook approximately 30 minutes over low flame. Uncover the pot remove hot pepper and mix again very gently. Turn off heat, cover and keep warn before serving.
You can use a combination of chicken bouillon with salt and pepper or just salt and pepper. Vegetarians can also use vegetable bouillon cubes instead of chicken bouillon.