I seldom review products for free but this small appliance, a self-basting roaster oven is worth my opinion. I am referring to the 20-Quart Self Roasting Roaster Oven with time-saving defrost setting by Oster.
There are other sizes, but I was fortunate enough to receive this as a gift from my sister. So I should not complain about the size since there are several mouths to feed. LOL
A recommended disclosure
This is not an advertisement or am I affiliated with Oster, the manufacturer of the Self Basting Oven. I decided to review the roaster oven because I thought is would be a great idea and many of you, my readers would benefit from it.
This review does not contain any information about the manufacturer. This is for informational purposes only and not intended to force or persuade anyone into buying this product.
Calling the roaster oven small is an understatement. The 20-quart self-roasting oven is for cooking large portions of meat or poultry, or anything else the manufacturer says you can use it. As mentioned before there are other smaller sizes on the market but since Costco was having a promotion and this was the only size available, my sister made the decision to purchase it anyway.
The video below is very novice. I am used to doing written reviews and not both. So I am dipping my hands into something new, a new territory and hope to be better real soon.
Why reviews are sometimes bothersome
Although I enjoy reviewing products, at times it can be very challenging when sharing your opinion. I stopped reviewing products for a while because many solicitors would dare to put in their request that they wanted positive feedback only. Now, why should I even entertain such request?
I often think the people seeking reviews who are sending these emails don’t even have faith in their product. They only care about making money. Being pressured by freebies or money to do a review does not help a product to sell. It only brings it closer to failure, one step away from disaster.
The review, my first impression
A small appliance by my definition, should not be larger than a kitchen aid mixer. But in reality, appliances that are not attached to a kitchen wall are considered small.
When looking at the 20-quart roaster oven, the first thought that comes to mind is, why is it so large? The roaster is large because it is designed for large meals. I have not used all the features of the roaster oven, but I can share the following:
- It roasts and cooks very well.
- My Turkey and the chicken came out moist, even though they were a bit overcooked. (I failed to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for roasting time).
- Both turkey and chicken did not come out with a beautiful golden brown color. I will have to try roasting my meat or poultry with dried spices instead or wet spices and see if there is a difference.
- Easy to clean: mild soap, a sponge or a non-scratching scrubber should work.
- The price is reasonable.
- Tough to store because of size.
- The cord is short, and I mean short. I would not suggest using an extension cord for safety purpose.
- It takes up lots of room on a kitchen counter.
- Does not get too hot on the outside.
- The outside is easy to clean as well.
- Very easy to carry.
- The rack makes it easy to lift meat or poultry.
The product description (taken from the Oster.com)
- Large capacity is ideal for preparing holiday dinners and for entertaining, providing extra cook space along with versatile cooking options for roasting, baking, and slow cooking
- Foods cook to moist, tender texture and delicious flavor
- Variable temperature control dial sets roaster to cooking temperature of 150°F to 450°F
- Keep Warm setting is convenient for entertaining until you’re ready to serve
- Doubles much-needed oven space for holiday meals and entertaining
- Saves 30% more time and uses 36% less energy than a traditional ovenᶧ
- Includes removable enamel-on-steel roasting pan for fast, even heat distribution and easy clean-up
- BAKING TIP: Place baking pans on rack to use just like a conventional oven for fresh-baked muffins, casseroles or even a sheet cake
- Exterior Dimensions: Length: 23.31″, Height: 11.81″, Width: 15.67″, Weight: 14.11 lbs
- Interior Dimensions: Length: 17.48″, Height: 6.54″, Width: 11.57″
My last words
Is this small appliance, the Self Basting Roaster oven worth buying? It might save you lots of time cooking or baking if you are cooking for a large family or large groups of people. The size of your purchase will depend on how you intend to use it.
I was expecting only to be able to use this product for roasting meats, but it claims to work as a roaster, oven or a stock pot. I have used both a crock pot and this roaster oven to roast poultry, and both have done well. The only thing is I need to learn how to control better cooking time. I only wish it came with a timer.
This small appliance works like a crock pot and has very similar features. A crock pot cannot be used to cook large meals because they are smaller in size. This roaster oven can make cooking for large groups of people simpler and easier. The price is reasonable, and this is money well spent for me.
Let me know what you think of this review. I hope to better my video skills very soon. 🙂