Warm Pearl Barley with Mushroom Salad, a comfort food to enjoy all year round. I mean a dish that does not require a specific season, month or day to prepare. It is not your typical Caribbean dish, but the ingredients are available everywhere so why not.
This is a recipe from Food & Wine but with my own spin on the ingredients. The ingredients are easily found in any supermarket. You can make it with any type of mushroom you prefer but I would recommend, portobello and shiitake mushroom.
My recipe is super easy. Cooking the barley is probably the easiest for me because I love adding my own blend of herbs and spices. This recipe I am about to share is for four (4) servings. It is easy and can be adjusted to your liking.
The changes I made from the Food & Wine version are as follow: added spice to the boiling water, added onions instead of shallots, and added fresh garlic cloves. And for serving the dish, I topped with watercress to give it that tangy taste.
The recipe is very flexible and you can add anything you want such as vegetables or roasted meat, poultry or seafood.
I always use a heavy bottom pan or a cast iron dutch oven pan because grains have a tendency to get stuck on the bottom of the pan. This is due partially because of not enough oil or high temperature. A heavy bottom or cast iron pan retains heat better than other pans.
- 1 cup barley or pearl barley
- Bouquet garni 1 sprig parsley and 1 sprig thyme
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 cups portobello mushrooms or mixed wild mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning or Herbes de Provence
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh watercress
- Grated Parmesan cheese optional
- In a large saucepan of boiling water, add the bouquet garni and barley. Cook the barley until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove bouquet garni and discard. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Pour the oil, add the onion, garlic, mushroom Italian seasoning or Herbes de Provence and cook over moderate heat while stirring for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released some of their juices and the onions are translucent
- Stir in the lemon juice and barley, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving dish if preferred. Garnish with watercress.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.