Watercress is in season from April to September. Watercress leaves have a hot peppery taste. Their pungent flavors add a kick to salads, soups and stews. In most Caribbean cultures, a simple salad usually starts with something green. The green is usually lettuce. Very seldom, the showstopper that is the lettuce is overpowered by the taste of other ingredients such as watercress and green onions. In the Haitian culture, a watercress salad is usually accompanied with lettuce or beets and carrots. When mixed with beets and carrots it is usually served with beef liver, a typical meal that is presumed to be one of the best ways to help someone suffering from anemia.
Growing up in Haiti, adding cheese to my salad was vey uncommon. I used to eat The Laughing Cow Cheese as a snack or as a spread with my sandwich. Leaving in the United States has made me change my eating habits. Adding cheese to my salad is no longer uncommon therefore mixing watercress and Creamy Spicy Pepper Jack Laughing Cow Cheese wedges is a great idea. I know the cheese is more of a spread than any other hard cheeses that are typically served with a salad. I wanted something different and I got it.
Although both the watercress and the cheese have a peppery taste, mixing the two together is a great idea for me. Adding a dressing is not that difficult either. Raspberry vinaigrette or even chutney is also a good idea.
I know adding chutney may sound unconventional, but wait until you try it. It is very delicious and better than adding and oily dressing.
A Watercress Harvest Salad with Laughing Cow Cheese wedges is the perfect lunch meal for this summer.
- 2 handful watercress leaves thoroughly washed
- 2 to matoes Campari or grapevine, sliced in wedges
- 1 mini cucumber sliced
- Red onion julienned
- Yellow or orange sweet pepper sliced (mini peppers preferably)
- 1 – 2 Laughing Cow Wedges Creamy Spicy Pepper Jack Laughing Cow Cheese, cut in cubes
- Salad dressing or Tomato Ginger Chutney
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes optional
- In a bowl, add all ingredients and mix. Add favorite dressing or Tomato Ginger Chutney and Coconut Flakes if using and serve immediately.
Use a fruity salad dressing for best results.
Adding Tomato Ginger Chutney is a good choice.
Use any other flavors of Laughing Cow Cheese.