A patate is a starchy sweet root vegetable and is often called sweet potatoes. It is a staple food in many countries and contains several significant health benefits.
Patate is the French word for sweet potatoes. Sweet potato, Patate Douce (the French word for sweet potatoes) is also called yam or sweet yam. Batatas is the Spanish translation for sweet potato. Patate is also the name of an Italian dish made with regular potatoes.
Depending on the location and soil, the patate or sweet potato will have different shapes. Sometimes resembling a potato, this starchy ingredient can differ in size, the color of the skin, and the flesh. Depending also on where they grow, meaning location, the shape and skin will look different.
For example, in the Caribbean, patate douce most varieties have a wrinkle and spotty skin. The flesh may be white or off-white. It is very sweet also and starchy like a potato. Usually, you will find purple, yellow, white, pink, and red in your local market depending on where you live; the taste is not only delicious and very flavorful.
Scientists have established that sweet potatoes contain anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, and anticancer properties. This superfood includes several essential health benefits that are worth knowing. Some of the benefits of patate are as follow:
- help with vitamin A deficiency
- a great source of fiber
- contains Vitamins A, B6, C and potassium
- full of antioxidants that may help reduce the risk of cancer
- have anti-inflammatory properties
- boost digestion and an immune booster
How to prepare
Patate is prepared in many ways, such as roasted, grilled, boiled, fried, baked.
- Roasting method: this can be done the same way you prepare regular potatoes
- Grilling method: best to grill with the skin on, the way it is done in the Caribbean.
- Boiling method: you can boil it to eat with your beef, seafood or poultry entrees. This method is very popular as it is the easiest way to prepare patate.
- Frying method: the method for frying is the same as potatoes. You will need either a vegetable peeler or a knife.
- Baking method: this method usually involve cheese, a sauce or vegetables. Remember that patates are sweet and not every cheese or sauce will make it appetizing.
Recipes ideas to enjoy
- SWEET POTATOES WITH VINAIGRETTE, THE PERFECT SIDE DISH
- SWEET POTATOES WITH MILK
- HOW TO MAKE MY VERSION OF THE JAMAICAN SWEET POTATO PUDDING
- PAIN PATATE OR SWEET POTATO BREAD