The soursop is an exotic fruit found in tropical regions. It is very much enjoyed for its taste and its great nutritional values. Soursop is very popular in Haiti and is used in many ways. Its health properties are very much known and appreciated as it provides a wealth of health benefits for many ailments.
Soursop is called Corosol in Haiti. It is also known as guanabana, paw-paw, and graviola in other places.
What are the health benefits of Soursop
Soursop contains large quantities of Vitamins B1 and B2, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. Soursop fruit is rich in vitamin C and contains minerals, fiber, protein, iron, and other lipids. The benefits of soursop are multiple and are used primarily in traditional medicine. All plant parts are used, fruits, roots, the bark, seeds, and even its leaves.
It is worth knowing the benefits as they are very medically and scientifically important. Soursop is best known for its effects in cancer treatment and against its development. Many studies have proven that soursop is a very effective anti-cancer plant. It helps fight against different types of cancers by attacking cancerous cells and sparing healthy cells. According to research, the tree’s leaves can destroy cancer cells like chemotherapy, but more effectively and without the side effects such as hair loss or weight loss.
Therefore, it is used by people suffering from prostate, breast, ovarian, skin, intestinal, liver, and lung cancers.
The leaves of soursop aid in lowering cholesterol levels. The leaves are sometimes used to promote weight loss. Hot beverages (tea, for example) are a powerful appetite suppressant. Because of its fiber content, it also helps with constipation.
The leaves of the soursop are filled with antioxidant properties. Soursop leaves may have given great hopes when applied topically. They are widely used in Peru, Jamaica, and Haiti. It is also said that it has been very effective against eczema.
Joint Pain and Insomnia
Soursop leaves are very soothing, and when used as tea, they help lower your stress level. It is also helpful for soothing itching and joint pain.
How to consume soursop and its leaves?
The soursop leaves can be consumed fresh if you have an organically maintained tree. It is also possible to obtain dry leaves. It is easy to find essential oil from soursop leaves.
The soursop can be found in fruit juices, soft drinks, fresh or frozen pulp in clafoutis, pies, cream, sorbets, and even tea bags or capsules.
Too much of a good thing leads to bad things
We all have heard that expression. While soursop has many great health benefits, it should be used with caution. Studies have shown that it can potentially cause symptoms similar to Parkinson’s Disease when used in excess. Studies have also shown that it may interact with diabetes and high blood pressure medications.
Soursop seeds contain toxic compounds and may cause harmful side effects. Eating the seeds is not recommended.
Some recipes based on soursop leaves
The following recipes were taken from www.Blune.fr, a website describing the benefits of the soursop fruit and leaves.
Full Disclosure: The information on this website and this article has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease.
- As a preventive measure, let 10 fresh and clean soursop leaves infuse for 10 minutes in a bottle containing 1 Liter of very hot water. Drink 4 times a day. Repeat for 7 days, every two months.
- As a potential cure, boil 4 to 15 fresh and close leaves in 1 ½ Liter of water. Let the water boil for 20 minutes before straining and pour into a bottle. Serve 30 minutes before each meal of the day.
- For topical application, use the essential oil or organic soursop leaf poultices. Clean as many leaves as needed. Crush the leaves and apply to the affected areas twice a day.
- The soursop tea serves as a stomach dressing when added with a little honey.
- Against rheumatism: boil a few soursop leaves and apply them as a poultice to ease the pain.
- The consumption of soursop leaf tea is supposed to have powerful effects against urinary tract infections.
- In case of burns, you can apply a poultice of soursop leaves on the concerned skin part. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory effects, the pain will disappear. In addition, your skin will be gradually restored.
Good to know:
Too much soursop consumption can cause digestive disorders such as diarrhea or, on the contrary, constipation.
The exotic fruit is not recommended for people prone to blood circulation disorders and pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- The Soursop Plant for the Control of Diabetes – Control …. https://howtocontroldiabeteswithdiet.com/the-soursop-plant-for-the-control-of-diabetes