Whole Wheat Waffles with Homemade Strawberry Sauce is my Breakfast of Champions. Whole Wheat Waffles made with white whole-wheat flour and with a touch of nutmeg, paired with a wonderful homemade strawberry sauce made with vanilla bean pineapple juice, orange juice and a splash of Grand Marnier Liquor. Also served with cooked organic sausages. What else can a tireless cook for on a beautiful Sunday morning?
Just a wonderful breakfast with my love ones!
Note: Waffle recipe: updated and adapted from www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/while-wheat-waffles-recipe
Whole Wheat Waffles with Homemade Strawberry Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar organic preferably
- 1 large egg beaten separately
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen whole strawberries stem removed
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 - 2 tbsp Grand Marnier Liquor
- To make the waffles: Preheat your waffle iron while you make the batter. In a shallow bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In a small bowl, beat egg separately. In a separate bowl, whisk together the beaten egg, lukewarm milk and melted butter. Mix the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients, stirring until combined. The batter will be a bit lumpy. Cook the waffles as directed in the instructions that came with you waffle iron.
- To make the homemade strawberry sauce. In a large saucepan, add whole strawberries, pineapple juice, orange juice vanilla bean sugar and Grand Marnier. Cover and bring to a boil. Once mixture starts to boil, uncover and lower heat. Let strawberries cook slowly until they have released their juices and the sauce is a bit thick. Remove from heat and serve with waffles.