Eggplant, Watercress, Peppers and Tomatoes
Eggplant, Watercress, Peppers and Tomato Stew is great with white rice, root vegetable or anything else you prefer.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 2 lb eggplant cut in cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes diced
- 2 cups onions finely sliced
- 1 cup red bell peppers finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup watercress cleaned, rinsed and chopped
Wash eggplant, peel off skin and cut in small cubes. Place cubes in stockpot, add enough water to cover and add salt. Cover and let cook for no more than 5 - 7 minutes. Make sure the pieces do not overcook. Remove from water and mash eggplant and put aside.
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add garlic, tomatoes, onion and peppers. Stirring occasionally, let mixture fry about 2 - 3 minutes. Add eggplant, continue stirring and make sure all ingredients are well blended. Add oregano, lemon juice, black pepper and salt to taste. Let cook stirring occasionally so eggplant does not stick to pan about 3 -4 minutes. Serve hot with bread, grains or pasta.