Haitian Accra made with malanga/yautia mixed with spices and fried in hot oil or bake. The perfect appetizer
- 1 lb malanga cut into 2.5cm (1" pieces)
- 2 scallions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves only
- 2 tablespoons green peppers chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ½ tablespoon scotch bonnet pepper or Habanero. Chopped, seeds and membrane removed
- 1 - 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil if baking
- 2 cups vegetable oil if frying only
Peel all Malangas and cut pieces into smaller 2.5cm (1") cubes.
Add to food processor.
Add all ingredients also to food processor with the exception of oils.
Blend all ingredients to a smooth mixture including olive oil if BAKING ONLY.
Put mixture in a bowl, cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer.
Blend all ingredients to a smooth mixture.
Remove and add to a bowl without olive oil if FRYING ONLY.
Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer.
Remove mixture from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature. If frying mix with flour and with 2 dinner spoons shape the accra and fry golden brown in hot oil. Serve hot.
If baking - When ready, butter 2 - 3 ramekins.
Fill ramekins with Accra mixture, do with butter and bake at 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5 for 30 to 35 minutes.
You may change the temperature of the oven to broil for the top to crisp, but no more than 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Calories: 39kcalCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 1gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 390mgPotassium: 39mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 192IUVitamin C: 8mgCalcium: 10mgIron: 1mg
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
Always choose ingredients without corn or corn derivatives.