Last updated on September 21st, 2021 at 05:10 pm
Spicy Pan-Roasted Yam with Chicken Breast is a delightful dish that can be served alone or with another side dish if you prefer. The beauty of this recipe is the wonderful blend of dried herbs and spices that deliver an aromatic scent.
Yam is very popular in many tropical countries. It is a staple food in The Caribbean, Africa, and the South Pacific where you can find many varieties. The type of Yam I am referring to is not similar to the “Yam” or sweet potatoes you may be accustomed to or the “yam”. This type of Yam is more like a potato. It does not quite taste like a potato.
Yam is a starchy root that is quite expensive when compared to its counterpart potato. Yams are used or cooked many different ways. Boiled, fried, baked, or mashed and even as a soup. The inside color of the yam also varies from white, yellow and even purple. Each type of yam has a unique taste, flavor, and either a waxy or soft texture.
Several types of research state that Yams are a superfood. Yams are rich in carbohydrate and have many great health benefits such as:
- aid with constipation
- good source of energy
- contain good amounts of anti-oxidant vitamin and small amounts of Vitamins A, B, C
- good protein and fiber source
- contain starch and sugar
Yam does not contain gluten and nor fat. This superfood must be eaten in moderation because it contains starch and sugar, which is the result of digestion.
My Spicy Pan-Roasted Yam with Chicken Breast is simple to prepare but requires patience. Unlike potatoes, yams take longer to cook when roasting in a pan on a stovetop. The result is a perfectly cooked dish that is best enjoyed either for lunch or dinner.
Before cooking always remove the tough skin. Cutting the yam in smaller pieces for pan roasting facilitates cooking time. Add the herbs, dried spices, and olive oil and revive the yam in seconds.
When preparing and cooking this one pot meal, it is best to use a nonstick pan or a heavy bottom pan.
Spicy Pan-Roasted Yam with Chicken Breast with herbs and spices.
- 1- pound white yam peeled and cut in small cubes
- 7- ounce skinless boneless chicken breast, cut in chunks
- 3 – 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1/3 cup diced green pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Lemon juice for drizzling optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottom pan, or nonstick pan heat oil and add garlic to cook for about 2 minutes while stirring. Add chicken. Once chicken starts to cook add yam and the remaining ingredients. Stir and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes and making sure that mixture does not burn or sticks onto the bottom of the pan. You may have to add a little bit of water from time to time for the yam to cook quickly and well.
- Cook for additional minutes if more cooking is needed depending on the size of the pieces of Yam.
- Drizzle a few drops of fresh squeezed lemon juice if preferred. Season to taste.
- Serve hot.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.