Last updated on March 26th, 2022 at 11:26 am
This succulent Veal Roasted with Onion, Fennel and Shiraz is an adaptation from Bon Appetit. A simple and elegant way to cook veal.
I love pairing veal with different types of vegetables and wine. When it comes to adding flavors to a veal dish, the bolder I am with spices the tastier the dish can be. It is all about pushing the culinary envelope as they say.
Pairing meat with vegetables or alcohol has been a way of cooking for many years. Stews, pairing vegetables with meat is a hearty dish that is usually served with grains, pasta, or root vegetables. It is also an easy way of cooking when feeding several people.
A word about veal
Veal comes from young cattle. Usually tender, veal is a
There are different types of veal cuts. Ground veal, cutlets, and strips are great for sautéing and stir-frying. Veal breast, blade steaks, and shoulder roasts are perfect for stews and braises. The chops are great for grilling and ground veal, as you might already know, is perfect for meatballs, meatloaf.
The recipe for Veal Roasted with Onion, Fennel, and Shiraz wine
The recipe starts with a beautiful cut of veal shoulder roast about 1 to 1.5 pounds. The seasoning is Noubess Steak Seasoning and rubbed all over the meat for a delicious taste and aromatic flavors. The meat is seared in olive oil until just browned.
For vegetables, a mixture of fresh fennel, sweet anise-flavored vegetable, and onion. Two ingredients will elevate the taste of the veal while cooking.
The fennel and the onions are pre-cooked separately first before they make their way to the roasting pan. The veal roast is nested on the veggies, and the wine is introduced — one of the perfect means to create an easy veal stew recipe in the oven.
A word about the Shiraz wine
I use Shiraz wine for its boldness and deep flavor. It permeates the veal wonderfully with its acidic and lightly sweet flavor.
This wonderful veal stew dish is perfect with pasta, rice, roasted cauliflower with cashews. The perfect dinner meal.
Here’s the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon Noubess Steak Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 – 1.5 pound veal shoulder roast
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced fresh fennel from 1 large bulb
- 1 1/2 tsp Noubess Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- 2 cup of Shiraz wine vintage preferably
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix salt and Noubess steak seasoning in small bowl. Rub 1 tablespoon oil over roast. Rub seasoning mixture all over the roast. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer roast to a plate.
- Add remaining oil, shallots, and fennel to same pot. Sauté until vegetables are golden brown, stirring frequently and scraping up browned bits, about 7 – 10 minutes. Add Shiraz wine; boil 3 minutes. Return veal to pot, nestling into vegetables, and top with some of the vegetables.
- Cover; roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of veal registers 165°F, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Transfer veal to platter.
- Mix fresh thyme into vegetables. Season cooking liquid with salt and pepper. Spoon vegetables and cooking liquid around roast.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.