Beef Stew with Green Lentils is a wonderful homemade comfort dish to cook for your family. It is a dish full of great nutrients with earthy and hearty flavors. Beef Stew with Green Lentils can be eaten with a side of white rice or by itself. It is full of flavor and the lentils provide the extra nutrients needed in your daily diet.
Oftentimes people describe Lentils as one the oldest cultivated legume in history because there have been traces of lentils dating back from 8,000 to 7,000BC. Lentil colors range from yellow to red-orange to green, brown and black.
They also vary in size, and are sold in many forms, with or without the skins, whole or split in most supermarkets. Lentils are rich in fiber and packed with folate, iron, phosphorus and potassium. Lentils help lower cholesterol and may help in managing blood-sugar disorders.
If you have time to soak the lentils, you can certainly do so or better yet add everything together and let it simmer over low heat or in your crockpot while cleaning your house. You can substitute the water for red wine and add some hot peppers for more flavoring. Beef Stew with Green Lentils is a perfect dish to enjoy on a gloomy or rainy day.
- 2 1/2 lb beef cleaned and cut in cubed
- 2 tbsp fresh lime or fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed black peppercorn
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 scallions stalks chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup crushed tomato
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper chopped
- 1 cup green lentils rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp beef bouillon powder
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- Add beef cubes in a large bowl and add vinegar. Cleaned meat with vinegar by stirring with hands. If you are not using vinegar, rub each meat piece with the pieces of the lime of lemon after juicing. Rinse with cold water, pat dry and set aside.
- Add garlic, peppercorn, parsley, salt, scallions oil, lime or lemon juice in a blender or chopper and blend until smooth. Mix spice mixture with meat and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a medium stockpot, over medium heat, add meat with marinade and let cook for about 5 to 7 minutes stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, sweet peppers and onions and let cook for another 5 minutes or so. Add cleaned lentils, water and beef bouillon powder to the stockpot. Stir and let simmer covered on low heat for 45 minutes or until meat and lentils are almost tender. Add butter and cover until thoroughly cooked. Add more water if necessary but gradually. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with grains, pasta or root vegetables.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.