My Aromatic Red Rice with Leeks and Herbs is a dish that needs no introduction. Have you ever heard of red rice? Have you ever had the pleasure to taste or cook red rice?
As a fat-free ingredient, Red Rice, a whole grain can help meet your daily fiber needs as well as your iron needs. Red Rice is grown in Europe, neighborSoutheast Asia, and the American South. We all know that all rice are not created equal because certain companies have found ways to develop their “cultivars by cross-breeding varieties.” This has led to more than 40,000 varieties of rice.
Browsing the aisle in a supermarket is a past time of mine. I have always seen packages of red rice but was never motivated to buy it. It is not until I had a conversation with my neighbor who is originally from Thailand, that I became a bit more interested.
A few weeks ago, my neighbor surprised me with a small bag of red rice. From what I understand, once you find a type or variety you like, it is best to stick with it. Because I have not seen the packaging, I am not able to share it with you. But I will share that it is a type of jasmine rice.
I have learned that Red Rice cooks almost the same way as brown rice. The ratio 2 to 1 is required when cooking red rice, whereas white rice is different. The rice has a nice nutty flavor that compliments the leeks. With any other types of rice cooking, Rice and Beans, for example, would be ideal because you already have the perfect color combination.
I always find more pleasure in cooking rice with spices. This type of rice requires spices and herbs. The common salt and pepper won’t do. Rice this rich and flavorful needs more. It requires the right combination of herbs.
Herbs such as chive, parsley, scallions, and thyme add flavor and aroma to rice dishes. Garlic another player will add tons of flavor and is a favorite of mine.
Enjoy this great recipe and don’t forget to share your opinion and comments as usual.
Aromatic Red Rice with Leeks and Herbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium to large leek cleaned and sliced - white and light green sections only
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 cups red rice
- ½ teaspoon salt more if you wish
- ½ tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- 5 1/4 cups water
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add leek, garlic, cloves and cook for about 8 minutes. Add rice, salt and herbes de provence, and mix well. Pan-fry rice for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add water and stir to mix. Do not over stir. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Once the water has almost evaporated, reduce heat to low, cover and continue to cook until rice is fluffy and fully cooked. (test with a fork and not a spoon)