Easy Spaghetti Squash with dried cranberries is a recipe that is absolutely not intimidating. Once you figure out how to cut the spaghetti squash you will be very surprised at how much fun you can have. Cooking the squash and creating different types of flavors will be fun to do.
How can you resist squash? I love cooking squash! In soup, roasted, steamed or mashed it makes the best side dish. But let’s talk about spaghetti squash a little bit.
Squash, in general, can be large in size. They are also hard to peel and cut. The skin is very tough when uncooked. The larger the squash, the heavier and difficult it will be to handle.
As far as nutrition, this type of squash is rich in the B vitamins riboflavin, niacin, and thiamin. Spaghetti squash also contains omega-3 and omega-6 fats with the essential minerals calcium, iron, phosphorus, and zinc.
This recipe is by far one of the tastiest. It is also very easy to prepare. The only thing you’ll have to do is let it cool off entirely before handling. Toss it with your favorite spice, dried fruits or sauce and it is ready to enjoy.
- 1 2-3 pounds spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil grapeseed oil or coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove chopped finely
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 1/3 cup cranberries or dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
- Rinse the squash under running water and dry with paper towel. With a sharp knife, cut the squash in half lengthwise from stem to tail and scrape out the seeds.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place squash, cut-side down, onto the prepared baking dish. Place onto the upper middle rack of the oven and roast until tender, about 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Using a fork, scrape the flesh. This way, you will create long strands that look like spaghetti.
- In a skillet, add 1 teaspoon oil. Add garlic and onion let cook while stirring for about 2 minutes. Add cranberries or dried cherries and heat up for 1 minute. Add squash and gently stir. Be very careful not to disturb the strands. Best to use a tong or spaghetti spoon.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
You may also want to lower the temperature of the oven to 365 degrees F and cook for 45 minutes if preferred and depending on the size of the squash.