A tofu dessert, may not sound delicious because of its bland taste. When you add chocolate and aromatic spices, the taste is very different. This is a great dessert to try at least once if you are unsure about trying tofu.
I have never been a fan of tofu. And I don’t believe I will ever be unless other ingredients with bold flavors are added. Tofu is bland and the texture is different depending on the brand and the type. By type, I am referring to soft, firm and extra firm.
A couple of my vegan friends told me that the firmer the tofu the better it is to manage and cook with. So, the past couple of months I have been experimenting. You may have seen my first recipe called Sautéed Rum Honey Glazed-Tofu. If not, make sure you check it out.
I found this dessert recipe online and altered it a bit by adding spices and a little bit of vanilla extract. The extract enhanced the taste of the chocolate and made it taste much better.
The original recipe did not contain any sweetener which I found weird. When you are using cocoa powder you do need to add a sweetener to cut down on the bitterness of the chocolate. I chose to add honey instead of sugar because it dissolves much faster in this dessert.
You may wonder why I am posting or sharing this recipe on a Caribbean food blog. Well, there are several vegan Caribbean people that also use tofu. It is not an ingredient that is only used by a specific segment of part of the world population.
The world is culturally diverse and the food is as well. So why not add my Caribbean spin to any ingredient I can cook with.
Enjoy this wonderful dessert with fresh fruits.
Chocolate Banana Tofu Pudding, a vegan dessert
- 2 bananas broken into chunks
- 1 10 ounce package soft silken tofu
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons whole milk, reduced fat milk or soy milk
- ½ to 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- ? teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the bananas, tofu, sugar, cocoa powder, milk, honey, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla extract into a blender. Cover, and puree until smooth. Pour into individual serving dishes,
- and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Topped with fresh fruits and serve.