Cranberry Upside-Down Cake: Desserts during the holidays are a must. It is the only time we get to indulge ourselves with our favorites. My recipe for Cranberry Upside-Down Cake was created because I had bought too many bags of fresh cranberries. This recipe does not have a lot of cranberries and does not contain cream of tartar.
The reason for not using a lot of cranberries is because I believe a cake should not feel too wet as if you are eating a pudding of cranberries. The cake should be moist enough to enjoy and delicious enough to feel like you need to indulge.
A few notes about this easy cranberry upside-down cake
A tasty cake needs spices and extracts. For my Cranberry Upside-Down Cake, I opted for allspice, orange extract, and vanilla extract. The mixture of the extracts and the seasoning complement each other, and with the juice released from the cranberries, it is a world of many wonders on your palette.
I would recommend using a good brand of cake flour and make sure that it does not contain a lot of sodium. You can also use frozen fresh cranberries that have been thawed for the recipe.
Lastly, any cake that contains fruits must be prepared in a rush. When overheated or over mixed fresh fruit are easily broken, and you may not have the time to fix the problem. Proper measuring is also required as well as a well-heated oven. Hope these tips will help you.
Enjoy my Cranberry Upside Down Cake during the holidays.
Other cake recipes you may be interested in:
- 1/2 stick Unsalted Butter
- 2 cups Frozen Fresh Cranberries
- 3/4 cups Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Orange Extract
- 2 cups Cake Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 teaspoon Salt sea salt or kosher
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, melt butter and add sugar and extract. Let sugar dissolve completely. Once it starts to boil, add cranberries and gently stir to incorporate. Cook on low heat for 1 – 2 minutes so they don’t start to burst. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Generously butter the bottom of a 9 or 10-inch pan and set aside. In a bowl, mix cake flour, baking powder, salt and allspice. In a standup mixer or a regular electric mixer, cream butter ad sugar. Add eggs one at a time until well incorporated. Add cake flour by alternating with milk and add vanilla extract last. Mix mixture at medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Spread the cranberries mixture in prepared pan. Spoon the batter over the cranberries in the cake pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool completely before carefully loosening the edges of the pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate and lift off the pan carefully. Serve with ice cream if preferred.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
Originally published November 16, 2014. Updated to include Nutritionals