Eggplant slices topped with a homemade chunky tomato sauce and cheese. These healthy bites are seasoned with Noubess Garlic and Herbs Seasoning and make the perfect eggplant pizza low carb meal or afternoon snack.
The perfect pizza or low carb snack starts with…
The short answer is fresh ingredients. The longer answer is no ingredients related to flour or bread. This pizza recipe is sure to keep your blood sugar levels and will still make you feel full.
There’s no need to fry the eggplants. You only need to pre-cook the seasoned oily eggplant slices in the oven first. The next step is to top the slices with your homemade tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. A healthy snack to enjoy without guilt.
Snacks must have health benefits
People usually refer to snacks as junk foods. This is no longer the case. With the ketogenic diet being very popular, and many people trying to lose weight, there are more options more than before.
This recipe is not only a quick meal, but it can also be paired with pork chops, roasted or grilled chicken breasts, and ground beef meatballs. This recipe also provides several food choices and will make meal planning easier.
How to make the Pizza eggplant recipe
For this pizza recipe, you will need a globe eggplant, about 7 to 9 inches long. To make the crust, slice eggplant into thin slices. To remove the excess water from the slices, lay the slices on a baking sheet lined with a double layer of paper towels and salt generously. After 30 minutes, the slices would have released any excess water. Blot each piece carefully to remove the excess salt.
The homemade simmered tomato sauce is prepared with fresh diced tomatoes seasoned also with Noubess Garlic and Herbs Seasoning.
To assemble, top the slices with the chunky tomato sauce and then the mozzarella cheese followed by parmesan cheese. Place under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve alone or with the main dish entree.
Check out the gallery for instructions.
- 1 eggplant (globe eggplant preferably about 8 ounces and 9-10 inches long
- 1 tbsp salt for drawing water out of eggplant
- 2 tbsp Noubess Infused Lemon Olive Oil
- 2 – 3 tsps Noubess Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 8 oz mozzarella or 1/3 finely grated mozzarella
- Fresh parsley chopped
- SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 2-3 tsp. Noubess Infused Lemon Olive Oil
- 3 large garlic cloves very finely chopped
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes or 1 can 14.5 oz. good quality petite diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1/2 tsp. Noubess Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with a double layer of paper towels.
- Wash and wipe the eggplant. Place the eggplant on the cutting board and cut off both ends; then cut it into 3/4 inch thick slices – try to make each slice the same thickness if possible.
- Put the eggplant pieces on the paper towels and sprinkle both sides generously with salt. Let the eggplant sit with the salt on it for about 30 minutes to draw out the liquid.
- Start making the sauce. Heat 2-3 tsp. Noubess Infused Lemon Olive Oil (depending on your paand saute the chopped garlic just until it becomes fragrant. (Don’t let it brown.) Add the tomatoes (fresh or canned diced), Noubess Garlic and Herb seasoning, and let the sauce cook at a low simmer until it’s thickened, breaking up the tomatoes with a fork as it cooks. Add water as needed, a few tablespoons at a time as the sauce cooks, keeping it hot by simmering at very low heat until it’s needed for the eggplant slices.
- Turn on oven to 375F.
- After 30 minutes, wipe the eggplant dry with paper towels (this also removes most of the salt.)
- Spray a roasting sheet with olive oil or non-stick spray, lay eggplant slices on, brush the tops of the eggplant with olive oil, and sprinkle with dried Noubess Garlic and Herb seasoning. Roast the eggplant about 25 minutes (do not over roast the eggplant slices as they will become mushy and lose their shape.
- After 25 minutes or when eggplant pieces are done, remove them from the oven and turn the oven setting to broil. Spread a few tablespoons of sauce on the top of each eggplant slice, top with a generous amount of cheese and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Put pizzas under the broiler until the cheese is melted and slightly browned. This may take about 5 – 7 minutes depending on your oven temperature.
- Serve hot, with red pepper flakes to sprinkle on pizza if desired.
Use store-bought sauce instead of making your own.
Do not peel the tomatoes if you don’t want to. I don’t peel them because I don’t want to waste the fresh juice and taste.
Do not overcook the eggplant slices, they need to maintain their form and shape to hold the sauce and cheese.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.