Grilled squash, eggplant, pan-roasted mushroom with herb lemon sauce: I cannot recall where I found this recipe, but I believe it may have been from Food&Wine. It has been altered based on my taste and preference.
Grilled squash, eggplant, and pan-roasted mushroom with herb lemon sauce is a light veggies recipe that can be served with any roasted meat or poultry—ideal for outdoor entertaining and summer dinners.
During the summer, vegetables are always in abundance. Finding an uncommon recipe may be a challenge. Many recipes with veggies which include milk or heavy cream, would often time include cheese.
Cheese, if you are a lover of cheese, is great with many dishes. But sometimes, adding cheese to a dish may do more harm to your body if you cannot digest it well. Although the herb-lemon sauce contains heavy cream, the water creates the right balance when herbs and lemon zest are added. Not a milky taste? Just subtle and delicate.
Grilling vegetables tips
When grilling, pan-roasted veggies you have to be mindful of the amount of oil the vegetables need to cook, and for example, mushrooms will soak up all the oil before actually starting to cook. If you are cooking your mushrooms at a high temperature on the stove, you need to stop.
The reason is that you are disturbing the texture while the kitchen. From experience, mushrooms, especially Portobello, are best cooked over medium heat? The higher the cooking temperature, the faster they will dry up and burn.
Tips for grilling onion
We all know that when cooking an onion takes time and patience. Cooking onions also require the proper pot or pan. Crowding onions in a pot or pan mean that you will have to do lots of stirring to avoid sticking. Onion releases its juice while cooking; therefore, low-temperature cooking is also recommended for this dish.
I have added Herbs de Provence because of its aromatic mixture of savory herbs. Herbes de Provence is a blend of dried herbs that adds tons of flavor to many dishes. You can use it to replace Italian seasoning if preferred.
This Grilled squash, eggplant, and pan-roasted mushroom with herb-lemon sauce recipe does not need much salt because many veggies contain a small amount of sodium. And by the way, who needs to add lots of salt when we need to stay healthy.
I use Himalayan salt in this recipe, but you can certainly use your preferred choice. It is by choice because It contains slightly lower amounts of sodium than regular salt.
This recipe can be altered very easily. Use your preferred vegetables to roast or grilled and add the sauce as a finished gourmet taste.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for grill
- 2 1/2 pounds mixed zucchini and yellow summer squash sliced lengthwise ¼” thick
- 1 eggplant thinly sliced
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced Portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons Herbes de Provence
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Hot pepper flakes optional
- In a wok, or large heavy bottom pan, over medium heat, add a small amount of oil and pan roast zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, carrots and peppers separately and set aside. Adding oil when necessary.
- For the onions, add to pan with remaining oil and let sear while stirring. Do not overcook onions.
- In a skillet, under medium heat, add heavy cream and water and stir to mix. Add remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate. Let mixture thickens a bit, then pour over grilled veggies and serve immediately.
Cooking time varies based on thickness of veggies and tools using to cook veggies.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
Updated and republished. Originally published September 15, 2016,