Fresh Chili Sambal is one of the zesty additions in African cuisines that adds tons of flavor to dishes. It is also considered a dipping sauce and is a substitute for hot sauce.
Chili Sambal is a tomato-based sauce that is combined with fresh chiles, onion, and salt. It is a relatively easy sauce to make and is the starter sauce for other Sambal Chile Sauces.
This sauce is somewhat comparable to hot sauce. It cannot be used as a substitute for bruschetta as it is very peppery hot.
The ingredients you need to make Chili Sambal
You don’t need a lot to make this recipe. This recipe needs blanched tomatoes. Making this recipe with tomatoes that have not been peeled can be a bit unappetizing. The skin of the tomatoes will not dissolve when blending in the blender. It is best to blanch the tomatoes so the condiment can be delicious and appetizing. Here are the ingredients needed:
- Fresh red chilies, minced
- yellow onion
- tomatoes, blanched, peeles and chopped
How to make the recipe
All the ingredients are either in a bowl to be mashed or in a blender to the process to a pulp are added to a blender – this method requires pulsing as you don’t want to end up with a liquid and not chunky sauce.
Notes and tips
- Fresh chilies are usually sold in local farms. They are long and are green at first. You can add a combination of green and red chilies.
- You can substitute the yellow onion for white or red onion. Shallots are a good alternative. I would not suggest to add scallions instead of onion – totally difference flavor and not authentic African cuisine.
- Use Chili Sambal Sauce to season meat, poultry and seafood.
- Use Chicli Sambal Sauce as a dipping sauce, for sandiwishced and more.