Looking for an idea for your Sunday dinner? Here is a beautiful Roasted Chicken served a Bread and Tomato Salad or Panzanella. How marvelous is that! An excellent meal that is sure to bring a smile to the dinner table!
My Roasted Chicken recipe post is overdue. There is so much going on right now in my life that I am not sure or even know where to start. But I know the primary goal for me is to take care of my health by creating simple and quick meals. For many months I have been suffering from lower back pain and have not found any relief yet. So disappointed! But enough about me!
I am so glad that yesterday while browsing the CNN website, I noticed the news about Restaurant Report Card Grades on Antibiotics in Meat Supply. This could not have come at a better time because kids are back in school around the country and creating quick and healthy meals is what every parent wants instead of buying unhealthy meals at fast food places.
Although I’m happy to have shared the CNN featured news on my social media, it is indeed a relief that there is more transparency in the food industry. My sisters and I often talk about fresh produce, meat and poultry and how we wish we lived close to a farm. Where will we find such a place? I have no clue. I guess it is still good to daydream a little. No harm there!
It is very challenging to follow a healthy diet nevertheless create quick meals. I love creating meals I know will be satisfying for the entire family. The meals are portion controlled healthy.
A roasted chicken is not only an easy dish to make, but it is also a dish that gives you the ability to create other dishes if there are leftovers. I can make a roasted chicken for dinner today and leave the chicken breast for a chicken salad or chicken sandwich for the following day. That scenario will probably work for small families and not large families. Next time you want to roast a chicken, think about the many possibilities you will have with leftovers.
My Roasted Chicken with Bread Salad is an adaptation of a recipe I found in my Food & Wine Annual Cookbook 2015. Although I changed it a bit, I am proud of myself and glad that I incorporated my taste because it received thumbs up from my family and my honey. Always happy when they love my cooking!
Watch out for the Bread Salad recipe next!
Roast Chicken with Bread Salad
- 1 lemon/lime to clean (optional)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon mixture of fine fried herbs or Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- One 1 3 ½ - to 4 pounds chicken
- ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 bunches of wine grape optional
- Preheat the oven to 450 degree Fahrenheit. Clean the chicken by rubbing and squeezing the lemon/lime inside and out. Rinse with water and pat dry and set aside. In a small bowl, mix paprika, sage, cumin, paprika, turmeric, mixture of dine herbs/Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Set a rack over a baking sheet and place the chicken on the rack. Run the chicken with ½ of the lemon then rub 2 teaspoons of the spice mix around the cavity and stuff the lemon in it. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Rub the chicken with the oil, then massage with the remaining spice mix. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit, about 50 – 60 minutes. Let rest for 15 minutes. Serve with bread salad.
The chicken can be cleaned also with vinegar and water.