Crunchy Beets Salad made with roasted beets, red onion, Italian seasoning, rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper and a touch of honey. Crunchy Beets Salad is a delightful salad pleasing to the eyes, appetizing and easy to make.
Recently I was talking to a friend about beets, and I remembered that I had not made my Crunchy Beets Salad in a while. With Good Friday approaching, why not make it and send a little note of reminder to all my fans that beets are one of the perfect side dishes when eaten seafood.
It is almost like pairing wine to meat, except that Beets are a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains. Betanin and vulgaxanthin and both have been shown to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support. (http://www.whfoods.com). With all the great values beets have to provide why not incorporate them more in our diet.
My Crunchy Beets Salad is perfect as a side dish and what I call a salad add-on. No matter how beets are consumed this delicious vegetable does not win many hearts. But whatever the cause is, I find it best enjoyable roasted than boiled. When roasted in the oven, the beets retain their sweetness and can be eaten plain without any other ingredients added. The next time you are at your supermarket, don’t pass off the beets. Beets are great in salads and as a separate side dish.
- 4 medium red beets tops removed and scrubbed
- 1 1/2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/8 tsp Italian Seasoning spice
- 1/4 tsp Honey optional
- 1 small Red Onion thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Additional oil for roasting beets
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put a large piece of aluminum foil on a baking sheet and put the beets on it. Drizzle olive oil over them and wrap them tightly in the foil, making a packet. Roast the beets until fully cooked on the inside, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check the larger beets by inserting a knife to confirm that they are fully cooked. There should not be any resistant from the beets. Cool and remove the skins by rubbing the beets with a paper towel or with your hands. (It is a good idea to wear gloves when peeling the beets to avoid staining) Place the beets in a bowl and set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk vinegar, Italian seasoning, honey, salt and pepper. Add red onion to beets and stir with beets. Place prepare beets in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.