I have been fighting with myself for several months because I did not want to share this recipe for Spicy Pork Shoulder cooked in rum. This recipe was inspired by my late father.
My father loved to cook with wine, rum, and whiskey. If my dad prepares duck for you, you will never want to eat it anywhere else. He was the master at cooking with alcohol. It is surprising that none of us became alcoholics. LOL!!!
I refused to share the recipe because I thought it was too good to share and that it would be stolen. It is too late now since I am sharing it now. Someone else will be making tons of money. But I had to share so you can learn how to cook tasty meals. What’s the fun in not sharing?
Pork and beef cook very well in a crockpot. The meat is tender, juicy and full of flavor. Whenever I don’t want to cook a whole pork shoulder or picnic pork pernil, (if that’s how it is called) in the oven, I take our my crockpot.
A crockpot, I will always say, is one of the best small kitchen tools you can have. Cooking becomes easy instantly. All you have to do is make sure you season the meat correctly and add enough liquid.
Making this recipe is a breeze. You need the right seasoning blend, a good rum, and fresh juicy tomatoes. The recipe is for a 3-pound pork shoulder. You can also use a pork shank. If you choose to cook a larger piece of meat, add more seasoning, more rum, and more tomatoes.
The taste will be different everytime you make it with different types of spices. It will also taste differently depending on the rum you choose. What many people don’t understand is that, when cooking the types of ingredients matter. For example, you can add whatever kind of brand of rum you want. The brand and type matter, because not all rums are made the same way. The process is different.
I use Rum Barbancourt, a Haitian rum with bold flavors, juicy Campari tomatoes, a mixture of herbs and spices and Noubess Hot and Spicy Original with herbs blend. The flavors from this recipe will be different if you add other types of condiments and spices so that you know.
Here’s the recipe and enjoy!
- 3 pounds pork shoulder or picnic shoulder cut in cubes or 2 - 3 inches
- 1/4 cup sour orange
- 1/2 cup Rum Barbancourt
- 1/4 cup lime juice fresh, about 2 - 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme leaves only
- 2 scallions chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped thinly
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Hot and Spicy Original Blend with Herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Additional Hot and Spicy Original Blend with Herbs for dipping sauce
- Place the pork shoulder inside the crockpot. Add all ingredients, cover with lid, and cook for 4 - 5 hours on high depending on your crockpot.
- Remove from liquid, place on a serving platter. Make a creole sauce with remaining liquid and serve with meat.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.