The perfect Tomato Sauce is achieved with good tomatoes and a little bit of patience. The recipe makes about a gallon of tomato sauce. The tomato sauce can be stored in jars for many months in your freezer.
There are many benefits of making a homemade sauce. The first and the most important are the advantages of having the sauce available for any recipes of your recipes requiring it. You can even substitute tomato paste with this sauce.
This is also an excellent way to prepare your homemade stews and pasta sauces easily. The recipe does not contain any meat products and therefore is suitable for vegetarian dishes and meat dishes.
Here is the recipe I am happy to share.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion medium dice
- 1 cup carrot medium dice
- 4 quart tomatoes canned or fresh, coarsely chopped
- 2 quart tomato puree canned
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- ¼ teaspoon crushed peppercorn
- Salt and sugar to taste
- In a heavy saucepan, add oil, onion and carrots and sauté until slightly softened, but do not brown.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, tomato puree and all spices with the exception of the salt and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over very loan heat for about 1 ½ to 2 hours or until the sauce is reduced to the desired consistency.
- Strain sauce of pass it through a food mill or blend in a blender.
- Return to heat and add salt and a little sugar to taste. Boil for just less than 5 minutes until desired taste. Cool before storing.