Chicken with Rice and Chickpeas is a one-pot-meal that incorporates all the major nutrients necessary for a proper diet. It is not a life-changing experience but many bellies will be filled very quickly. This recipe is not only delicious, but it is also made with love. What do I mean by cooking with love?
My definition of cooking with love is cooking with the right ingredients, being aware of the nutrients and their types, and lastly, taking the time to prepare a meal or a dish. Two people can make the same recipe, but one dish will taste better than the other. Why? Because of love.
Cooking is an art as it has been said many times. The art part for me is to know the right time to add the ingredients. Chicken with Rice and Chickpeas is easy to make like many other dishes. Making it right takes time, patience and love.
About the recipe
Starting a dish such as Chicken with Rice and Chickpeas requires long preparation. The chicken pieces must be cleaned and brined with a lemon salted liquid mixture for at least 2 hours. All the ingredients must be at hand reach because when it is time, it is time to add the ingredients.
Making this excellent dish also requires the right pan. A pan made for paella is the best, but if you don’t have one, a heavy bottom pan or a cast iron pan will suffice. The chicken is browned in unsalted butter and sizzled with onions and peppers then removed. The rice, which is the showstopper, is next to be made with plenty of flavors. To cook the rice this unique Caribbean way as I call it requires patience.
The rice is fried with veggies and is slowly cooked by gradually adding spiced water or chicken stock. This is where the love comes from. When slowly adding water to rice, the consistency of the grains is disturbed as well as taste. The solution is to add hot spiced water.
To make a spiced water mixture for this rice is to add a low sodium chicken bouillon powder seasoning. That is the secret! One teaspoon for every half to a three-quarter cup of water should suffice. Other spices such as turmeric, parsley, thyme, and garlic are what make this dish well seasoned.
Now, remember, preparing a meal does not have to be done half fast. As long as you take your time, you will have a meal that is finger licking good.
Now let me share my Chicken with Rice and Chickpeas so you can impress your family.
Originally published: Mar 20, 2015
- 8 Chicken legs cleaned
- 1 tablespoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 lemons
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 ¼ cup sweet red peppers cut in in 1 inch cubes
- 4 cup long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut powder
- 1 ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 large sprig fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric more needed if preferred
- 1/8 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 - 15.5 size can Chickpeas
- 2 ½ cups low sodium Chicken Stock or 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon low sodium mixed with warm water additional chicken stock may be necessary
- 2 green onions or scallions chopped
- With one lemon cut in half, clean chicken legs by rubbing halves on chicken pieces. Rinse with cold water and place in a bowl, fill to cover with water, add salt and the juice of the other lemon. Let brine for at least 2 hours. Remove chicken legs and pat dry thoroughly.
- Under medium high heat, in a heavy bottom pan, or paella pan melt butter and pan fry chicken legs on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside. In a 350 degree Fahrenheit preheated oven bake the chicken pieces while making the rice for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- In same pan add garlic, onion and sweet pepper. Cook while stirring gently for about 2 – 3 minutes. Add rice (washed rice), turmeric and paprika and gently stir. Let veggies and rice cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add chickpeas and stir. Add coconut milk with 1 cup of chicken stock or 1 tablespoon of low sodium chicken bouillon diluted in warm water. Stir to incorporate. Bring to boil then lower heat to allow rice to slowly cook.
- Let rice cook until mixture has almost evaporated. Add ½ cup of warm diluted with 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon or ½ cup of chicken stock gradually until rice if almost fully cooked. Add liquid to rice at intervals until rice is almost fully cooked and still fluffy. Remove chicken from oven, and add chicken pieces to rice. Cover and continue to cook for about 10 – 15 minutes over low heat. remove from heat, decorate with scallions and serve hot.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
[amazon_link asins=’B00DE1CEJC,B071W9H87K,B074MGZ3TR,B01JSQEY9E’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’us-1′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’e10521a6-c070-11e8-8cfb-9d5109315c50′]