A good recipe for soup always starts with the right ingredients. Soup is one of the easiest meal anyone can make. These days there are so many condiments that all you need to do is add your ingredients, seasoning, and liquid and let the mixture boil. Within a few minutes, you end up with a full meal.
Quick meals are a favorite of everyone. Our culinary arsenal will transform your favorite recipes. We are not kidding at Caribbean Green Living.
Gemma’s Gourmet Hot Sauces are revolutionalizing the way you cook. Do you have a jar in your pantry or your refrigerator?
A teaspoon of, for example, Gemma’s Mango Gourmet Hot Sauce added to Chickpeas, Kale and Andouille Sausage Soup is the perfect combination. The thick, rich flavor of the spices and the hot peppers are never overpowering. The “zing” taste as we call it in our kitchen gives the soup an extraordinary and delicious flavor.
As a must condiment in your pantry, Gemma’s Mango Gourmet Hot Sauce may have a fruity taste, but it packs tons of flavor. It is not necessary to add the hot sauce only to meat, poultry or seafood; soup counts as well.
An easy trick to incorporate the hot sauce into your cooking routine is to cook it with the ingredients. Whether you are pan frying your vegetables first, the hot sauce acts as a seasoning. You can also add it to the last few cooking minutes to elevate the taste of all the ingredients. Don’t worry if you have to add the hot sauce to your bowl only. Your dinner companions will envy you.
How to make Chickpeas, Kale and Andouille Sausage Soup
First, the chickpeas are slow cooked in a crockpot with enduie (a Haitian spicy and cured meat), shallots and garlic. After the andouille and kale are cooked, half of the beans mixture is added to the pot. The other half of the beans mixture is pureed. The beans puree will create a smooth and appetizing soup.
This recipe is for a hearty soup, made with andouille sausage, cooked chickpeas, and chopped kale, along with flavors of the Caribbean.
This soup makes a delicious meal with toasted or warm bread.
Chickpeas, Kale and Andouille Sausage Soup
- 1 cup dried Chickpeas Garbanzo Beans (1 cup of dried chickpeas will make about 3 cups of cooked chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons Enduie or one smoked or cured meat bacon or other type of meat is fine
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 larger Shallots sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 oz andouille sausages, sliced
- 3 handfuls kale chopped
- ? cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 - 2 tablespoons low sodium chicken bouillon powder
- ½ teaspoon Gemma’s Mango Gourmet Hot Sauce
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and drain chickpeas in cold water. Pick out any stones and dark brown chickpeas. Rinse and place in a large bowl with 4 cups of water. Let soak for about 4 hours or longer.
- Drain water, put drained chickpeas into your crock pot. Add water 4 cups of water, enduie, smoked or cured meat, and shallots.
- Cook on High for 2-3 hours or until soft. Remove 4 ladles of peas + cooking liquid and puree in your blender. (add whole cooked garlic to blender to blend also). Set aside.
- In a dutch oven or a heavy bottom pot, heat oil. Add sausages and let fry for about 2 - 4 minutes while making sure they do not burn.
- Add kale and stir to combine.
- Add cooked chickpeas and bring to a boil. Add heavy cream and pureed chickpeas and continue to boil.
- Add unsalted butter, low sodium chicken bouillon powder, gourmet hot sauce. Add salt to taste. Continue to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with warm crusty bread.