Easy and Flavorful Baked Herbed Sea Bass is a way to eat fresh and delicious fish easily. We often hear that we must have a well-balanced diet that includes an excellent source of protein, selenium and essential omega-3 fatty acids. Fish is an important part of healthy eating. Fish, in general, are low in calories and high in protein.
Sea Bass is a generic name used for much different fish from various species and most are not even Bass per chefs-resources.com. If you wish to learn more about the different types of bass, check out their website in the reference section.
Sea Bass, in general, is very easy to cook. Baked, grilled, roasted or in sauce, it absorbs the flavors of fresh herbs and spices very well. It is not a smelly fish and is also easy to clean.
When cooking whole fish, I usually clean it with lemon or lime. Depending on size and cut of the fish I will either prepare a water, lemon or lime bath to soak the fish for a few minutes. This way, when ready, the fishy odor is less, and there’s no embarrassment.
Yesterday I posted an article called “How to add more flavor to your favorite fish recipe.” The featured photo was a sea bass marinating in several herbs and spices. This post is the recipe post for my wonderful way of making most fish flavorful.
Adding different herbs and spices is a great way to enjoy fresh fish. In this recipe, the herbs and spices are in abundance. Parsley, garlic, bay leaves, and oregano are just a few herbs and spices to give a pleasing aroma to the sea bass.
When trying out this recipe, I would recommend creating a lemon or lime bath after cleaning your fish. Trusting your monger to clean the fish entirely is not good to do. Your fish monger has tons of fish to clean, and it is very easy to leave a few scales. That also goes for fillets and fish steaks.
Another great tip is to remove all excess water after cleaning your fish. Towel paper is the best at removing the excess water. Once done, your fish is ready to be marinated and cook.
Always remember to buy fresh. Make sure you choose your fish carefully. You can opt to make the same recipe with another type of fish. But always make sure that the fish is fresh and firm. Lastly, Sea bass is a healthy food choice because it contains a considerable amount of vitamins and minerals.
Enjoy my Easy and Flavorful Baked Herbed Sea Bass! And remember that this recipe can be prepared with any other firm, white flesh fish.
[ihc-hide-content ihc_mb_type=”block” ihc_mb_who=”unreg” ihc_mb_template=”1″ ]
- 2 medium size Sea bass about 5 – 6 pounds
- 1 lemon or lime + 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 – 8 large sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 - 6 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 – 6 sprigs of fresh Tarragon
- A small bunch of chives about .75 ounces
- 6 bay leaves fresh preferably
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons herbes de provence or Italian seasoning
- Salt optional
- Clean the fish by removing scales and fins, etc…. leave the heads on. Prepare a lemon/lime bath. Fill up with water a bowl that is large enough to hold both Sea Bass. Squeeze the juice of one lemon or lime in the water and place both fish in the bath. Let soak for about 5- 7 minutes. Remove, rinse in cold water, pat dry and set aside.
- In a baking dish, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and spread half of the herbs and spices inside the dish.
- Place the fish on top of the herbs and spices and cover with remaining herbs and spices. Drizzle one tablespoon over sea bass. Season the cavities with salt if preferred. (my preference is without salt because we follow a low to no sodium diet)
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Remove dish from refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon lemon juice over fish. Cover bowl with aluminum foil if not already. Placed in oven and bake covered for 10 minutes and uncovered for 15 minutes – longer depending on size. Check the fish for doneness.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 – 7 minutes. Remove herbs and spices and fish from dish. Place fish in serving dish and garnish. Serve immediately.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
Always choose ingredients without corn or corn derivatives.