It’s January 1st, and what better way to start the year than with hearty, delicious squash soup. The new year always brings love, laughter and happiness at the dinner table in many Haitian households. Squash soup, soup
What is Calabaza Squash
Calabaza squash is popular in the Caribbean, South America, and Central America. The squash size varies from the size of an acorn squash to a large watermelon. It can also grow to be as large as a pumpkin.
The Calabaza squash skin is very hard and lined with vertical ridges when matured. It’s color also varies from green to the color of an orange. With its yellow to orange like flesh color, C
Tips for making Calabaza Soup
- Use fresh ingredients if you can.
- Use any pasta noodles you want
- Add chicken or beef. Cook meat or poultry first before adding to the soup. Use cooking liquid to season soup.
- Sautee onion, and leeks with fresh herbs and spices first.
- Keep the vegetables in water so they don’t turnbrown
- Need a good stock pot
- You can freeze fresh squash for at least 4 – 6 months.
This soup can be prepared many different ways. Most Calabaza soup recipes contain meat or poultry and rarely seafood. The most common seafood would be shrimp.
- Seafood: season the shrimp with Noubess Seafood Seasoning, olive oil and lemon juice and marinate for at least fifteen minutes before adding it to the squash mixture.
- Beef: season the beef with Noubess Steak Seasoning, olive oil, lemon, thyme, parsley, onion and marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Cook meat until fully cooked. Use meat cooking liquid to season soup.
- Poultry: season the chicken pieces with Noubess Poultry Seasoning, with thyme, lemon, parsley, onion, salt, and pepper. Marinate for at least 60 minutes to overnight. Cook poultry separately from veggies and soup for 30 – 40 minutes before adding the pieces to the soup. You can also bake or roast the chicken before placing in the stock up with the veggies and the squash mixture.
- Vegetarian/Vegan: Cook the squash as you normally would. Sautee the vegetables with oil, onion, Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Condiments with Herbs. Use fresh a mixture of fresh herbs and spices to season the broth.
How to make Calabaza Squash Soup with Beef
- 4 pounds beef stew
- 2 tbsp Noubess Steak Seasoning
- 1 large onion, sliced or 2 medium
- 2 – 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 – 3 sprigs parsley
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Calabaza squash, about 3 pounds or butternut squash
- 4 gloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 medium turnips, sliced
- 2 turnips, sliced
- 3 – 4 potatoes, sliced or cut in large cubes
- 2 rib celery, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup cabbage, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pasta noodles or spaghetti noodles
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- After cleaning meat, place in large pot, add lemon juice, Noubess Steak Seasoning, 3 tbsp olive oil, onion, thyme, parsley, and tomatoes. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Cook meat until fully cooked on medium high. Add warm water only if necessary.
- Wash the squash, remove the skin with a sharp knife, and remove seeds. Cut the squash in cubes and place in a large pot, enough water to cover. Boil for 20 – 25 minutes until fully cooked. Turn off heat and let cool.
- When completely cool, puree squash with a little bit of cooking water. You may have to puree the squash pieces in batches. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, add the remaining olive oil, leeks, celery, and onion. Sautee for about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add squash puree, remaining ingredients but not the noodles or the meat. Add meat cooking water and chicken stock only and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 – 15 minutes. Add meat and pasta noodles. Continue to cook until noodles are fully cooked. Season to taste. If additional liquid is needed, only add hot water.
- Serve with bread, preferably.