Last updated on November 8th, 2022 at 06:50 pm
Coconut Seared Codfish with Roasted Potatoes and Kale Salad: I am surrounded by people who must eat healthily, follow a strict diet, and most of all, enjoy delicious meals.
Creating meals with a Caribbean taste is my passion, and therefore I don’t mind cooking for friends, family, and loved ones and growing up in a family of hypertension sufferers. I have become accustomed to not eating a lot of sodium. It is so interesting that the more I learn about what to eat and what not to eat, I no longer feel deprived of salt.
Eating healthy should no longer be a challenge when there are so many options. The challenge is finding the ingredients you like to cook. Once you see these ingredients finding the correct pricing is another challenge. Prepare your meal plan shopping list, and then look for savings and coupons to avoid many challenges.
Cooking with Kale and Sweet Potatoes
Kale and sweet potatoes (yam) have many significant health benefits for people who suffer from high blood pressure. The best thing about these two ingredients is that they are easy to cook.
Cooking Codfish or Cod Fish
Codfish is available throughout the year, a wonderful substitute for meat protein, an excellent low-calorie source of protein, contains healthy and beneficial nutrients, and is very easy to cook. These three main ingredients will allow you to spend minimal time in the kitchen and leave you feeling satisfied.
Coconut Seared Codfish with Roasted Potatoes and Kale Salad is a complete meal that will leave you satisfied and feel you are on cloud nine. It is quick and easy to make any weeknights. I also call it a no-fuss seafood meal.
The codfish fillets are seasoned with wonderful spices such as garlic and thyme. The fillets are coated with coconut powder or flour and pan-fried in coconut oil. The sauce is prepared next with onion and Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce, or you can use Pikliz. Serve the codfish with the sauce.
The Kale Salad contains cucumber, sweet bell peppers, and sundried tomatoes and can be served with your choice of dressing. The sweet potatoes are roasted with black pepper and a touch of sea salt for a delectable finish.
A delicious, healthy, and quick meal for you and your family to enjoy any day of the week.
Seared Codfish Ingredients
- 4 cod fillet about 2 pounds, cleaned
- 4 tablespoon coconut powder or flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- Pepper to taste (salt is optional)
- 1 teaspoon Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce or 2 – 3 tbsp Pikliz
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 – 4 tablespoon coconut oil
Roasted Sweet Potatoes Ingredients
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Kale Salad Ingredients
- 1 bunch kale washed, stalks removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes sliced thin
- ½ cup sweet orange or red peppers sliced thin
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 Lemon optional
Choice of salad dressing
Seared Codfish recipe
- Cleaned the codfish fillets by rinsing in water mixed with either white vinegar or lemon juice. Pat dry and set aside on a flat large plate. In a small bowl mix, garlic and thyme and set aside. On another plate add coconut powder. Season fillet with pepper and salt if using, roll each fillet first in mixed spices, and coat well with coconut powder. When ready to sear or pan-fry fillets, add coconut oil in preheated sauté pan over medium-high heat, and sauté the cod until browned, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer cod to a baking dish and bake in the 415-degree F oven until thoroughly cooked, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- In the same pan, add the onion and let cook for about 2 – 3 minutes. Add Noubess Hot Sauce and let slowly cook. If you need more liquid, add a little bit of water to finish the sauce. Do not overcook onions. Serve the fillets with the spicy sauce.
For the Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Lay the sweet potatoes out on a single layer on a roasting tray or dish. Drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper over the potatoes. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes in the oven or until tender.
For the Kale Salad
- In a large serving bowl, add kale, peppers, cucumber, sundried tomatoes, half of lemon juice(optional) and mix. Add your favorite dressing before serving.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
This recipe was originally published on January 31, 2015. It has been revised to add additional content.