Last updated on September 21st, 2021 at 05:54 pm
My wonderful recipe for Ground Turkey Lasagna is both kids and adults approved. I cannot tell you how many times I have made this dish and received the same compliment and reaction. I have tried my best not to change it much because it is simple and tasty.
There is one downside to sharing this recipe. I only wish I could share the brand of each ingredient because I believe that is an important factor to a tasty meal. All I can say is to use a marinara sauce you love, ricotta and mozzarella cheese you like and trust, your preferred no-broil lasagna noodles and your usual spices.
Another reason why I am sharing this recipe is that many moms will benefit from making their family happy. My Ground Turkey Lasagna is a one-dish meal like many other lasagna dishes. Only a side dish may be necessary and preferably a mixed green salad, for example, to keep it simple and healthy. With our busy schedule, sometimes it is hard to create a full 3 or 5-course meal. And again all you need are good ingredients to have a perfect and tasty dish.
Remember earlier I mentioned kids approved? Well, it is because I have not found one child who did not like my Ground Turkey Lasagna. Most kids love cheese and noodles and therefore combining both is the perfect idea for a meal. And by the way, it is another way to make them eat.
Since children go through periods where they barely want to eat because other things preoccupied them, making particular types of meal to lure them back to the dinner table is beneficial to their diet. And, this is one of the many dishes you can lure them back with to healthy eating again. My Ground Turkey Lasagna!
Now, ground turkey, as we all know takes time to cook. The reason is because of time spent at the stove, breaking down the meat, so the ground turkey does not turn into mini meatballs. And by the way who like to eat lumps of ground turkey meat in lasagna? Not I.
One trick that I find very useful is lemon or lime juice. It is my Caribbean side. I cannot ignore it. Adding lime or lemon juice wakes up the ground turkey. This type of meat can be very bland when the proper spices are not added. And another thing it the smell of raw meat that lingers when an acidic agent it not present. Always remember that every type of meat needs something to make them taste better. It does not always have to be herbs or spices.
Enjoy this one dish meal with your family, friends and loved ones.
[ihc-hide-content ihc_mb_type=”block” ihc_mb_who=”unreg” ihc_mb_template=”1″ ]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon red hot pepper crushed optional
- 2 24- ounces jars Marinara sauce reserve 1 cup
- 1 box oven ready lasagna
- 1 15- ounce container of Ricotta
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese shredded
- Heat up a large skillet or Dutch oven on medium high heat; add olive oil and ground turkey. Break chunks of meat and stirring occasionally cook turkey until all the juice has been released and completely gone - about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add lemon/lime juice, garlic, Italian seasoning, thyme, black pepper, and salt and let cook for about 2 minutes. Add onion and hot pepper crushed if using. Continue to cool while stirring for another 2 minutes. Add marinara sauce (reserve 1 cup). Stir to incorporate all ingredients and cover to cook on low heat for about 10 – 12 minutes, stirring 1 or 2 times.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, mix ricotta cheese, beaten egg, nutmeg and chopped parsley and set aside.
- Spray a 13 X 9” baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom.
- Top with one layer of oven ready lasagna pasta, top with 1 cup of ground turkey mixture. Using a spoon, dollop ½ cup ricotta mixture evenly over the sauce and flatten with back of spoon. Sprinkle ½ cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Repeat 2 more layers as needed. On the top layer pour the remaining meat sauce, top with remaining mozzarella and sprinkle Parmesan cheese. Coat one side of the aluminum foil with either cooking spray or regular olive oil and cover the dish tightly with the oily side down.
- Bake lasagna at 375F for 20 minutes - 30 minutes in a preheated oven. Remove the foil and continue baking until the top of the lasagna is browned, about 30 minutes more. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.