Last updated on March 14th, 2022 at 07:41 pm
Cured, uncured, or homemade turkey lunch meat, which one do you prefer? I bet you will say you would want to try the latter. And if you knew how we made it, you would like to try it. Turkey lunch meat seasoned to perfection with Noubess spices and slowly roasted.
Homemade foods are always the best when cooked properly with the right ingredients and spices. Homemade lunch meat is tastier, healthier, and cheaper than store-bought brands. Turkey Lunchmeat is usually roasted with a blend of spices. A whole or half turkey breast is generally used for roasting. If you have a large family, this recipe is perfect for you. Smaller families can use a smaller turkey breast size and adjust the seasoning.
Why is it better to make your own lunchmeat
Processed lunch meat can be costly and indeed not a healthy choice. Processed meats “contains sodium nitrite, a preservative used to combat botulism. During cooking, nitrites can react with compounds naturally present in meat to form potentially carcinogenic N-nitroso compounds. (Processed meats also contain sodium erythorbate, an antioxidant that inhibits this conversion and helps minimize the risk.).” (the Globeandmail.com)
Red or white meat for your lunch meats
Whatever the choice is, make sure it is homemade. White meat such as turkey or chicken is the easiest to prepare as lunch meat. Roasting is usually the preferred choice. A blend of spices is rubbed all over the meat and cooked at low temperature.
Two important tips to remember
Turkey and chicken, when roasted, tend to shred. To avoid too much shredding, the meat must rest. The second most important tip is to place your meat in the refrigerator overnight to be able to cut the slices thin with a very sharp knife.
Turkey lunch meat is very easy to make. You will be satisfied as long as you have a good seasoning blend. I used Noubess Poultry Seasoning Salt-Free and added salt to the mixture. I also used an excellent olive oil brand to keep the turkey moist. A sharp know is ideal for making perfect thin slices.
Go to www.noubess.com to buy all seasoning for your cooking needs.
- 1 whole turkey breast, skin removed, clean and pat dry
- 2 – 3 tsp Noubess Poultry Seasoning
- Salt to state
- Olive oil
- Remove the skin and clean the turkey breast your preferred way. Make sure turkey is thoroughly patted dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine Noubess Poultry Seasoning with salt. Rub the seasoning mixture all over the turkey breast by making sure that it is well covered.
- Place the turkey in a prepared baking/roasting pan. Drizzle olive oil all over the turkey breast.
- Roast in the oven for 90 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165-170 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven, let cool completely and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, carefully slice off or remove the breast from the bone. Lay the meat flat and use a very sharp serrated knife to cut very thin slices.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.