Okra and Lamb Stew, easy to make, a delicious stew ready in minutes, and just in time for your stew dinner night. This stew is best served with rice, creamy polenta, bulgur wheat, millet, and even farro.
Oh my! Okra and Lamb Stew: a recipe to try if you love lamb. This is not your typical stew where you add everything in your crockpot or pan and forget about it for a while. Not at all, my darlings! This dish is an inspiration to anyone who thinks they cannot cook.
There are so many ways you can prepare this dish and make your family very happy. The trick is to use your favorite spice mix. I am not talking about smoky spices; I am referring to a mixture of either a fresh spice blend or a dry spice blend.
Cooking Lamb is not that difficult as you think. Now let’s hear the broken record again. Lamb needs tender loving care. Many of us do not have the luxury of eating fresh meat, and therefore we have to figure out ways to tone down the smell of the lamb. Have I turned you off, or do I have your attention?
What better way to add more flavor and aroma than with my Noubess hot and spicy sauces. Herbs, spices, and hot peppers are a good combination to spice up any lamb dishes. Trust me, it is!
Making this stew recipe is easy as 1-2-3
You will never consider mixing a hot and spicy herb sauce with the lamb because you probably think that the hot sauce will either sweeten the lamb or make it too spicy. On the contrary, the hot sauce intensified the taste of the other spices and the lamb. A perfect marriage!
I recently shared my Rice with Green Lentils, and if you have not noticed yet, I am showing a photo of the stew with the Rice with Green Lentils. I am salivating right now because all my favorite ingredients are in the picture. I know, you probably think that I should not because I probably have leftovers. You are right. I always have leftovers when cooking. LOL…
The combination of the lamb and the okra is exceptional. When you read the recipe, you will notice that I soaked the meat in vinegar and water before cooking. This is to remove some of the smell that the lamb has. I think it also helps with the cooking time.
My wonderful dish of Okra with Lamb Stew can be served with Rice with Green Lentils and Rice and Beans and even with White Rice. I prefer eating it with rice instead of cornmeal because of the taste. All of the dishes’ variations will taste good, but it is your preference, rice or cornmeal, and not to forget root vegetables.
- 2 pounds okra
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1-2 pounds boneless lamb cubed
- ¼ cup vinegar to soak meat
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons mixed spices blend
- 1 tablespoon Noubess Original Hot and Spicy Sauce
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste mixed with 1-cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a large bowl, add lamb cubes, vinegar and enough water to cover. Let soak for at least 5 minutes. Rinse and pat dry, and set aside.
- Remove the top and tail of the okra, and slice into ¼-inch thick rings. Do not remove the seeds. Set aside
- In a large, heavy based pan, fry the onion and garlic in the oil until they start to brown. Add the lamb and season with salt and pepper. Stir well and cook until the meat starts to brown. Stir in the mixed spices and Noubess Hot Sauce. Stir in the okra and continue cooking for 10 -15 minutes on low heat, until the okra begins to soften. Add the tomatoes and the tomato paste blended with water. You may need to add more water later if necessary.
- Stir well, and simmer slowly for about 40 minutes on low heat, or until the meat is tender, the vegetables are cooked and the sauce is a bit thick and creamy. Add the parsley and the lemon juice and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with rice.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
Updated to add additional content. Originally published February 29, 2016