This Super Moist Carrot Cake is made with freshly grated carrots and homemade applesauce. Adding nuts or chocolate to the cake is not for everyone and definitely not for me either. I prefer a simple carrot cake and with nuts allergies on the rise, this is as simple as it can get.
Are you on a diet? Should you cheat with carrot cake? I’ll say, why not! I enjoy baking a good carrot cake because I can cheat by saying YES!. The excuse is I am enjoying a delicious dessert and eating my vegetables as well. I am certain that my stomach will thank me.
I am pretty sure I am not the only one who makes excuses for not eating vegetables as often as recommended. The picture taken is not the best but I tried to show how moist the cake is.
Making your own applesauce is very economical and healthier. Store-bought applesauce has a distinctive taste because of preservatives whereas homemade applesauce is not.
You cannot make a carrot cake without any spices. That is a fact! Spices such as ginger, nutmeg are essential as well as vanilla extract.
Ingredients you will need fo the carrot cake
- Cake Flour: I use only two brands, King Arthur Cake Flour or SoftaSilk Cake Flour
- Sugar: I use organic sugar for my cakes and most of my dessert when needed. I use Kirkland organic sugar.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Cinnamon Powder
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Nutmeg
- Salt: use sea salt or Himalayan salt
- Large Eggs
- Vanilla Extract: store-bought or homemade.
- Vegetable Oil
- Grated Carrots 2 large carrots
- Homemade Applesauce
For any type of cake, whether is contains vegetables or not, adding the right spices is crucial. Adding the right amount of flour, carrot, sugar is also important. I have made substituted the vegetables oil with olive oil and it was super moist.
Want a delicious cake, try this one!
- 3 cups Cake Flour
- 2 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Grated Carrots 2 large carrots
- 2 cups Homemade Applesauce
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a bunt pan or two 9-inch round cake deep pans generously with no-stick cooking spray with flour.
- Combine cake flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, and salt in medium bowl.
- Beat eggs and combine with oil and vanilla extract with electric mixer. Gradually add flour mixture beating at low speed until well incorporated. Add applesauce and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in carrots.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans or bunt pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes (in bunt pan) or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes in 9 inch pans (if using) or until toothpick inserted in center comes our clean. Cool completely on wire rack before adding icing or serving.
- Prepare homemade applesauce and let cool completely before making Supper Moist Carrot Cake.
- You can use store-bought applesauce as well but the taste will not be the same.
- Softasilk is the brand of cake flour I used. It contains less sodium than the other cake flour brands.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.