Pineapple Jam with a twist. An easy recipe that is better than storebought jam.
Homemade food is always better than storebought. But sometimes we don’t want to cook or even go near the store or the oven. But we have to think about the benefits of homemade foods.
A short anecdote
My beautiful sister did it again. Why do family members feel they need to buy everything in the supermarket and then find people to give them away? Again, Erika saw pineapples on sale and decided to buy about ten pineapples. What is up with that? And what could I make that would not force me to feel bad about throwing out most of the fruit but Pineapple Jam?
Cutting and slicing a pineapple for pineapple jam
Pineapple is not a fruit I enjoy peeling or cutting. Many small gadgets claim to remove the core without the hassle and do not work as a sharp knife. Gadgets like pineapple corer or slicer, in my opinion, work but also waste the fruit. They work if you are making compost. You won’t feel like you are losing the fruit because you add nutrients back into the soil.
I seldom make jam, and when I have the opportunity, I always make sure the traditional spices – ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and lime peel are added. Allspice is also an excellent addition to jams but not with all fruits jam. If you wish to add allspice, do it moderately.
I hope you like my version of Pineapple Jam.
Other recipe ideas with pineapple.
- 2 1/2 cups Sugar organic preferred – use 3 cups if fruit is not very sweet
- 3/4 cups Water
- 3 Star Anise
- 1 large Cinnamon Stick
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Pineapple, weighing 2 – 2.5 pounds – well ripened
- Remove the skin of the pineapple, then cut into small pieces. In a heavy saucepan, boil water and sugar. Sugar water must be clear before adding the remaining ingredients, about 10 – 15 minutes. Add pineapple, star anise, cinnamon stick and vanilla extract. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes stirring often to avoid sticking.
- Remove from heat and let cool before serving or placing into jars. Note: To make the perfect Pineapple Jam, add less sugar if the pineapple is very sweet and more if it is not. Use a wooden spoon to better stir the pineapple while cooking.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
Nutrition info is automatically generated and provided as a courtesy and as an estimate only.
Always choose ingredients without corn or corn derivatives.
Originally published January 7, 2014 – Updated to include additional content.